Subdivision smooth interpolation?

4182   2   1
129 posts
Hi guys. I notice that a point with 2 edges creates a linear interpolation for subdivision. Is there any particular reason using this approach? Most application provides a smooth-smooth or hard-hard for both inner and outer border edges but Houdini subd´s provides a unique topology. Is there any variable for Houdini to use smooth interpolation for border points with 2 edges?

Thanks.
1769 posts
hi, altough this was 7 years ago, i just constantly having the same problem with subdiv and UV's and black lines all over the model, is there any guide how to model for subdiv surfaces in houdini?
daniel bukovec | senior fx td | weta digital
qLib -- http://qlab.github.io/qLib/ [qlab.github.io]
295 posts
Could you post a screenshot of the problem? Are you having an issue with viewing the UVs in the UV viewport?

Normally you'd model with subd just like any other program. The only “gotcha” is that it's not as easy to to visualize it. You can put a Subdivide SOP at the end of your SOP network and set it's subdivide number to 2 (I think it defaults to 1). That will roughly approximate what you're going to get. Then make sure that you don't render this node *and* you turn on “POlys as Subd” in the Geometry object node that contains your SOP network.
Houdini Models [learning3dfromscratch.blogspot.com]
  • Quick Links