Imported nested HDA Problem

851   1   0
1 posts
Hi.

So I'm a new learner overall and currently trying to integrate Unreal & Houdini and currently exploring on something that uses a nested HDA.

And I found a problem :

When I put the HDA asset into the scene, it would work perfectly, it spawned things that it had to spawn, perfect.

But things got weird-- I wanted to see what happens behind the scene, so I hit the Session Sync -> Houdini instance showed up -> I hit "rebuild" on my HDA -> then everything went kaput. The HDA didn't work, it just spawned a white box which one of my process inside the HDA.

So I went into the Houdini Instance which was spawned by Unreal on Session Sync.
It happens that it couldn't read any of my nested HDAs eventhough it has those nested HDAs as its embedded assets. I don't have them as embedded assets though, the Houdini instance did it for me.

So what seem to be the problem?

1. Why it worked perfectly fine in-engine at first but then it broke after I wanted to take a look in Session Sync?
2. Why the Session Sync's Houdini Instance couldn't read the nested HDAs eventhough it has them as embedded assets?
3. Did I setup my personal project incorrectly?

FYI on how I setup my project :

- I have a "Houdini" folder in the root of my Unreal Project, on the same level with the Unreal's "Content" folder.
- Inside the Houdini folder there are .hip file and "otls" folder. I set it up this way so the .hip file could automatically scan the "otls" folder which contains my top HDA and nested HDAs when I open it up.

So the hierarchy should look like this :
-> unreal-project-root
-> Houdini (contains .hip file)
-> otls (contains .hda file)

As for Unreal : I change the Houdini Plugin Setting's "OTL Search Path" to the "otls" folder above.

What I imported as .uasset : Just the top HDA

Thank you in advance~
9 posts
Maybe it's because Houdini (not engine) don't know where to look for nested HDAs.
Try adding line in houdini.env :
HDA_LIB = _yourFolderWithNestedHDAs
Hope it helps.
  • Quick Links