tutorial: procedural forest.mov.....stuck?

3676   2   1
16 posts
Hi, i'm new user and going through the procedural_forest.mov tutorial i seem to be stuck.

at 08:22 they show entering the ‘stamp’ function into the Y-rot channel of the xform. He enters:

stamp(*../copy1*, rotateshape, 0) and the display viewport remains unchanged.

whenever i enter this, they object vanishes from the viewport and the operator gets those red-lines (indicating error i assume). Three questions:

- does anyone know what might be going wrong? i have checked and re-checked the syntax.

- in tutorial he seems to ‘select’ from some kind of pulldown menu to drop in his ../copy1, how do you do that? I have been just typing it in manually.

- in gneneral, when a SOP has those red error lines, is there a way to query and find out what it doesn't like specifically?

Thanks in advance!

jason
696 posts
The problem would be that you are typing * when you should be typing "

stamp(“../copy1”,rotateshape,0)

when you have the red lines, it means that there is an error. Middle Mouse click on the node, and it will give an error. In this case, it gives “unable to evaluate expression (Syntax error - extra tokens detected in expression etc.)”

This is because instead of telling the stamp function to look for the copy sop, you have attempted to do some multiplication.

He does type the operator in the tutorial. The menu that you see flashing is an autocomplete sort of menu. I'm not sure why it appears sometimes and not others.
Stephen Tucker
VFXTD
16 posts
got it, darn blurry QT, i should have known it was “” anyway.

thanks for your help!
  • Quick Links