Houdini odd viewport issue..!

776   6   0
407 posts
Hi guys,

Please take a look at the image below. Did you experience something like this in the Houdini? If yes, how can I fix it?

Thanks for helping.
Edited by Masoud - Feb. 2, 2024 15:03:49

Attachments:
Houdini Bug.jpg (1019.0 KB)

Masoud Saadatmand (MSDVFX)
7789 posts
that's normal and to be expected. There is a scale at the object level, a non-uniform scale.
212 posts
Don't think it's expected especially the last one. Unless you mean we should expect Houdini to act weirdly (we all do, right.)

Believe it or not, Houdini is a DCC where basic feature like scaling an object can be broken. Like this:

The solution is to avoid obj level transform... or to avoid using Houdini.
Edited by kodra - Feb. 2, 2024 20:40:54

Attachments:
Screenshot 2024-02-03 093832.png (1.6 MB)

7789 posts
kodra
Don't think it's expected especially the last one. Unless you mean we should expect Houdini to act weirdly (we all do, right.)

Believe it or not, Houdini is a DCC where basic feature like scaling an object can be broken. Like this:

Houdini is the only DCC which doesn't lie to you. You're not simply scaling an object, as in some geometry, you're scaling space itself--anything within that space will inherit the scale such as handles and cameras including the viewport camera.

I consider it a feature, as it reminds you that you're doing something wrong, such as using a non-uniform scale at the object level.
212 posts
jsmack
kodra

Houdini is the only DCC which doesn't lie to you. You're not simply scaling an object, as in some geometry, you're scaling space itself--anything within that space will inherit the scale such as handles and cameras including the viewport camera.

I consider it a feature, as it reminds you that you're doing something wrong, such as using a non-uniform scale at the object level.

You might notice that in my screenshot, the scale is (5, 1, 1), but the viewport is stretched much more than 5 times. You can tell by the number markers on the grid.

People can see that and be like "it's a feature" never fail to amaze me. Houdini users trust this software so much, to a point they rather believe it instead of their own eyes.

It's really a cult.
Edited by kodra - Feb. 2, 2024 22:21:59
Staff
1072 posts
You can "fix" the issue by homing after jumping between levels. It's caused by the object scales sneaking into the view transform, which homing will rebuild, and is a bug. The pickle we're in is that Hide Other Objects mode is really a "Hide Other Objects and Switch to Local Space" mode, with this last part being a surprise to many users. This bug has somewhat disguised this.
Staff
1072 posts
I should also mention that the handle scaling you'll see when in the Show All Objects/Ghost Other Objects is a separate issue and not caused by this particular bug. Many users do indeed find that distortion a useful indicator of non-uniform scales on the object even though it too is arguably a bug.
  • Quick Links