OT Using Houdini to map coordinates for a 5 axis CNC machine

322   1   0
2 posts
Hello all, I haven't been on here since before this was here(email-list) H4 :o

Been so long since I've ran Houdini(H4), I couldn't rap my head around this.

Do you think there is a way H can be used to calculate offsets in a 5 axis CNC machine?

Scenario: a 5 axis CNC machine has to have its exact relative positions and rotation centers found
for proper kinematic movements during machining.
The accuracy is usually within .0001"
Usually you use probes to find and enter in each axis independently, then run a test part that has certain features showing different errors in the different axis.

Then using measuring devices accurate to far less than .0001" you can find the error and change the offset saved.

Problem you have is there are like 4 parameters that affect kinemtatics and 3 of them affect 2.

And the math gets crazy, So I thought a simulation in H with optimal params, and then comparing to measured dimensions from the actual machined test part could calculate and yield the correct offsets to enter to get it correct.

I didn't know if the fact that H is not CAD software so its dimensions are not relative to something like inch or mm would make this not feasible, or just the numbers had to be relative to work.

Just a curiosity, Thanks
119 posts
I seen and i have files from Russian Dude(you can find on GitHub) that operate on "Kuka Kr10r1420 6 axis" so , don't see why not, its possible in Houdini.
Conservation of Momentum
  • Quick Links