market

3677   3   0
313 posts
Which type of persons in the Houdini world are the most demanding now? Modeler? rigger? animator? effects artist, texture artist?…………..
I am learning houdini 9 and do not know if I should be focusing on one area or go through the whole pipeline?
401 posts
Why not focus on the field you are interested in the most?
You will probably perform better with stuff that involves you personally than by trying to match a ever changing market.

It's good to know the whole pipeline, though. After you get into Houdini and know your 101 you can expand your skills.

Georg
this is not a science fair.
1145 posts
That is what I recommend as well. Companies hire for specific skills depending on what they need at the time. You will draw much more attention if you concentrate on the areas you are most interested in working in at the moment, it will be evident in the work you present. I say, at the moment, because you will likely change your mind as you gain more experience.

It may seem backwards, but someone who is a houdini generalist is invariably a person with extensive production experience. It is not an entry level position and there are few, if any, positions explicitly for generalists.

It will be years before you “know” all of houdini in an effective manner. I would contend that it is unlikely anyone knows all of houdini in a useful fashion. I've been using and teaching Houdini for over 10 years and I don't know all of it.
“gravity is not a force, it is a boundary layer”
“everything is coincident”
“Love; the state of suspended anticipation.”
313 posts
rdg & probbins

Thank you for your suggestions! They are very true!
  • Quick Links