How to import particle motion in CHOP?

5996   7   1
83 posts
How to import particle motion in CHOP?
537 posts
Easiest way is to import the points or attributes with the geometry CHOP, you'd have to reference the geometry and not a pop-node or course.

Does anyone know what's going on with the particle-chop or if their is an easy way to import particles into CHOPs by particle ID and not point number?
702 posts
if you use a geometry chop, you import the id as well as the other attribs you wish to make channels then sort by attribute, id

this works well , just may be slow if you have lots of particles and long frame ranges.
537 posts
right but if particles die or get born than the other info still get's copied to different channels over time.

There's probably a fancy expression one could put in the expression chop to sort it all out but does anyone have this expression … or was that the point of the particle chop (haven't used it yet since it was broken last time I checked)
1631 posts
If you specify “id” in the Organize by Attribute parameter, the channel values will be “indexed” to each particle id no matter they live or die.

In the Attribute and Rename Scope parameter, make sure “id” is also specified.

Cheers!
steven
4262 posts
andrewlowell
right but if particles die or get born than the other info still get's copied to different channels over time.

edit: Curse you Family Guy! You distracted me and Steven beat me to the post.

This is what the Organize by Attribute parameter is for on the Geometry CHOP and Channel SOP.
if(coffees<2,round(float),float)
537 posts
YES!!! awsome it works, never knew that. Thanks a bunch.

Ok, so probably the complete answer is

Geometry CHOP
Import needed attributes
most likely organize attributes by id

—————————–

also it's usually necessary to sample the geometry at the particle's substeps and not 24fps to get collisions etc.
1631 posts
Wolfwood
edit: Curse you Family Guy! You distracted me and Steven beat me to the post.
Thank you Stewie!
  • Quick Links