OpenGL Fatal Error Not able to run OpenGL 3.3

19616   16   3
52 posts
I installed an NVidia 1080 Ti graphics card in my HP workstation (64Gbyte 32 threads). It's new and I installed the latest drivers. But, I can't run Houdini Indie 16. I get an OpenGL Fatal Error: The installed OpenGL driver is not able to run OpenGL 3.3.
Before changing the graphics card from another Nvidia card, Houdini ran without any issues.

Brad Carvey
Brad Carvey
52 posts
The problem appears to be with using VPN to run Houdini on a remote computer. This morning I ran Houdini, at work, and everything was fine. I was running Microsoft Remote Desktop on a Mac Book Pro, using VPN to login to my work computer, which is a Windows workstation. This worked, but apparently there were issues with the Graphics driver. This may have to do with the setting on the remote connection.
Brad Carvey
4189 posts
Not sure how MRD works but sounds like the same limitation of running Houdini on a VM. OpenGL support is just short of what is required.
スタッフ
5156 posts
It depends on whether the Remote Desktop (or VM) is allowed to serve hardware-accelerated contexts to the client. If it's not, then you won't get hardware acceleration, and Windows' software GL is 1.1 so it fails. If you can somehow enable that, you should be able to run Houdini remotely. One trick that some people have tried is to start Houdini on the machine before leaving, and then interact with it at home via Remote Desktop. This works because the Houdini session was started locally and gets full use of the GPU.
181 posts
I haven't tried it, but I've heard that a cheap display emulator can enable normal GPU acceleration over remote connections.

https://www.amazon.com/CompuLab-4K-Display-Emulator-fit-Headless/dp/B00JKFTYA8/ [www.amazon.com]
52 posts
Thanks twod, your suggestion worked.

I ran Houdini on my work computer, Windows 10 workstation with Nvidia 1080 ti graphics card. I then used VPN to login from home, using Microsoft Remote Desktop, running on a Mac Book Pro (Sierra). Houdini was running. I added a static ground and a particle emitter and ran the sim. I then rendered a frame.
Brad Carvey
52 posts
I tried to open a second copy of Houdini and I got the opengl 3.3 error. Not surprising, but I thought I would let people know that remotely opening Houdini, does not work, even with a copy open and running.
Brad Carvey
2 posts
Hi,
The way I get round it is by running ubuntu on my remote netbook to connect to my VPN or gridmarkets - 4 year old 10" screen with 4GB RAm and intel 3000 graphics - so on the face of it, no way to run opengl 3.3+ or even Houdini. But, linux definitely squeezes enough out of the hardware to make remote working possible and the MESA opengl drivers support opnegl3.3 (ubuntu 16.04 and MESA v17). And that includes running a couple of copies of Houdini at once. There are a number of older or lightweight nvidia, amd and intel graphics cards that wont support opengl 3.3 on windows but technically, the cards can do it with the MESA drivers. So.. if its practical to switch your remote OS to linux, you can try that (though I know folk have also got the MESA drivers running on OSX).
Edited by Collaski - 2017年9月6日 11:26:13
52 posts
Update. The VPN problem goes away when I have a Quadro installed and returns when I replace the Quadro with the 1080 Ti. This could be an issue with the hardware or driver.
Brad Carvey
897 posts
This is the best solutions I've found for windows. It logs you off and starts a Houdini session. Might not be the cleanest solution you'll see but it has never failed me which other tricks has.

First create a .bat file containing:

ECHO ON
tscon 6 /dest:console /password:*
cd %HOMEDRIVE%%HOMEPATH%
"C:\Program Files\Side Effects Software\Houdini 16.5.321\bin\houdinicore.exe
(the tscon might difffer, that's your “session id” and can be found through google .

Then create a shortcut to this file, edit the shortcut to start with admin rights.
Edited by kahuna031 - 2018年5月18日 13:13:26
B.Henriksson, DICE
3 posts
kahuna031
This is the best solutions I've found for windows. It logs you off and starts a Houdini session. Might not be the cleanest solution you'll see but it has never failed me which other tricks has.

Thanks kahuna031! This helped me to fix the issue I had on trying to launch Houdini on a remote computer (with Remote Desktop Connection).
3 posts
I started to work a little bit but after a few seconds of use, I got the same message (OpenGL 3.3…) and another QDI error.
Any idea how to fix this?
I found on other forums that it could work using other remote software (like NoMachine / RealVNC / Splashtop / ConnectWise…). I will start to look in this direction.

Attachments:
Houdini_RDP_error_QDI.png (3.2 KB)

897 posts
I started to get the same errors but it was also affecting Maya so unlikely a Houdini specific issue in my case. Made an unsuccesfull attempt at reverting graphic drivers but then we switched vnc system at work wich happened to fix all my troubles so I stopped investigate.

I'm thinking it originate in a Windows update?
B.Henriksson, DICE
スタッフ
5156 posts
In a nutshell, the accelerated Remote Desktop feature is a Quadro-only feature of the Nvidia driver. Yay product segmentation!
1 posts
I have the same problem,but i can't update graphics drivers.
i got a processor amd fx4300 with graphics amd 760g.
Someone can help me? it's my first time using houdini, thanks

p.d. srry for the bad english
52 posts
I am having a new but similar problem, with Linux, Tesla P100 and opengl error.
I ssh into a Linux computerOne…
ssh -X computerOne
I run hkey and the GUI comes up and I can verify the license is working and I can see an x window.
I then run houdinifx, the splash screen opens after about 10-20 seconds, the splash screen closes and I get a fatal error. My Quadro card works, but apparently, my Tesla card does not.

Anyone do anything with a Tesla Card?

Brad Carvey
Brad Carvey
150 posts
twod
In a nutshell, the accelerated Remote Desktop feature is a Quadro-only feature of the Nvidia driver. Yay product segmentation!

interesting, whilst I replicate the problem with vnc in RHEL, using HP RGS when I tested it last worked fine

I'm on a 1080TI.
Edited by Andrew Graham - 2019年7月10日 20:44:00
https://openfirehawk.com/ [openfirehawk.com]
Support Open Firehawk - An open source cloud rendering project for Houdini on Patreon.
This project's goal is to provide an open source framework for cloud computing for heavy FX based workflows and allows end users to pay the lowest possible price for cloud resources.
  • Quick Links