Vertex Animation Textures ROP 2.1 Released

109984   95   23
3 posts
Hey Mike!

I'm using Houdini Core here, and followed the steps of the video, and everything seems to work fine, except that my final mesh seems to be inflated. Any idea why?

The issue happens only in VAT 2.1, if I switch to VAT 2.0 the mesh doesn't get inflated.

I will attach an image from the template debug inside Houdini, but the extends to unreal as well. I will also add a simple file to better illustrate the issue.

Cheers!

EDIT: Just got an email from sideFx about this issue. It seems to be a gotcha with RBD bullet solver, the workaround is to add the “rest” “pivot” and “orient” attributes as output on the RBD Bullet Solver.
Edited by martinez3d - 2020年9月14日 10:29:18

Attachments:
vat21_inflatedIssue.hip (3.0 MB)
vat21_inflatedIssue.jpg (60.7 KB)

1 posts
I have made a fluid effect in Houdini. When the number of Target prim count is 10000 and the Target texture size is 1024, it is correct to import uE4. But when I import 30000, there will be a broken surface. How to solve? Am I setting the size of the model and map?

Attachments:
2020915-190512.jpg (152.9 KB)

1 posts
Hello
I am having an issue with VAT 2.0 with the fluid sample shader. I have rendered out my fluid and I have got a mesh(fbx), pos.exr and a json file, however when I copy and paste the sample material code from Houdini to unreal I cannot see how to connect the base color, metallic etc, as it doesn't display it. Can someone help?

Thank you.

Varisht
74 posts
Hi Mike,

This is awesome! Where could I find the example hip file you showed on the videos?

Thanks,
Kelvin
https://www.linkedin.com/in/kelvincai/ [www.linkedin.com]
4 posts
The model of particle formation is wrong
8 posts
I'm having trouble with copying and pasting the shader code as well. Several node are not even connected in the graph (most notably Time and all of the texture sample nodes) and it will not compile after making all of the required connections.

This is for a Fluid setup.

Attachments:
fluid_shader_graph.jpg.png (391.0 KB)
VAT_houdini_ROP.png (142.7 KB)

37 posts
hey @rkopinsky,

I believe if you have pasted the code into the material itself, it will show up slightly broken with disconnected wires. However the same code cut/pasted into a material function will show up as expected with nodes fully connected. Then, call the function in the material. Hopefully that works for you.
3 posts
Hello,

I've encountered an issue someone brought up in an earlier message, but it wasn't addressed anywhere.

The position map output by the VAT 2.1 node is just… gray. There's no real info in it. Does anyone have any pointers as to why this is?

Thank you!

Attachments:
Rigid.hiplc (3.2 MB)

8 posts
peternicolai
hey @rkopinsky,

I believe if you have pasted the code into the material itself, it will show up slightly broken with disconnected wires. However the same code cut/pasted into a material function will show up as expected with nodes fully connected. Then, call the function in the material. Hopefully that works for you.

That 100% worked, thank you very much!

-Bob
6 posts
peternicolai
hey @rkopinsky,

Hello peternicolai,
When i call the material function into the material i do not have any parameter to connect to the base color . Is it possible to proceed without a base color?

Attachments:
Screenshot (25).png (2.9 MB)

4 posts
Emitting particles can make mistakes
4 posts
UE4 4.25 Emitting particles can make mistakes
48 posts
Heya, I'm trying to put the VAT export node inside of my HDA but it doesn't want to cook anymore and I can't figure out why. I put a VAT node in a ropnet, then linked all the params by dragging the node into type properties of the HDA. I assume it has to do with the _component param on the HDA, the python script on there doesn't seem to work? (left of attached img)

When I press render on the VAT it'll look like it's processing like normal but spits out this error on the ‘render_mesh_fbx’:
Error 
FbxExporter::Initialize() failed. Error returned: File not created
Error
Unable to evaluate expression (
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<stdin>", line 4, in expression
File "C:/PROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.351/houdini/python2.7libs\toolutils.py", line 1779, in createModuleFromSection
node_type.definition().sections()[section_name].contents())
KeyError: ('vat_utils.py',)
(/obj/boat/NT_RBDsimFromAnim/_project)).

Been stuck on this for a while now, if anyone has some ideas where I can look I'd be grateful!

Attachments:
VertexAnimPythonProblem.png (50.2 KB)

13 posts
Hi,everybody,can tell me where to find Vertex Animation Textures ROP 2.1.
2 posts
martinez3d
Hey Mike!

I'm using Houdini Core here, and followed the steps of the video, and everything seems to work fine, except that my final mesh seems to be inflated. Any idea why?

EDIT: Just got an email from sideFx about this issue. It seems to be a gotcha with RBD bullet solver, the workaround is to add the “rest” “pivot” and “orient” attributes as output on the RBD Bullet Solver.

You're a lifesaver - thanks you Martinez3D
I had to turn on transfer to geometry too if any others have the problem.
6 posts
Hello,
Does any one have any idea why my Houdini textures are not showing up in Unreal even after I do the Vertex Animation Texture export?

Attachments:
Screenshot (25).png (2.9 MB)

22 posts
Is there a solution for the initial offset? I have some static pieces that never move so the offset is quite obvious on those pieces
1 posts
Hi, I'm trying to make Voronoi fractured rigid body animation with multi-material assigned.

VAT2.1 works fine with a single material, but when applying 2 materials for inner and outer, only the outer part is animated in UE.

Any good work around for this?

Attachments:
1mat.png (3.5 MB)
2mat.png (3.6 MB)

18 posts
Taku Wanifuchi
Hi, I'm trying to make Voronoi fractured rigid body animation with multi-material assigned.

VAT2.1 works fine with a single material, but when applying 2 materials for inner and outer, only the outer part is animated in UE.

Any good work around for this?

What if you duplicate the material and use different textures (different diffuse, normal, but same position map) for each material?

@everyone: I have a question as well. I used VAT2.1 for my Unity2019.4.14f1 URP-Project. While the animation looks fine the color map does not show up. Why?

Edit: Found it. You can solve that rather easy yourself if you go into the shadergraph and just sample the texture... I am not really sure why that is not the default. Why have a color map available in the material that does nothing? What also bothers me is that all shaders show error when selected: "Shader error in 'sidefx/lwrp/VAT Soft Simple Lit': failed to open source file: 'Packages/com.unity.render-pipelines.lightweight/ShaderLibrary/Core.hlsl' at Assets/.../shaders/SimpleLitVATSoftInput.hlsl(4) (on d3d11)" I spent a while trying to find a solution to this but nothing works (but I also think that this is an error hat probably Unity has to solve). If anybody knows how to tackle that issue please share it. The material now works as intended but I don't like having errors in my projects.
Edited by OliverStock - 2021年1月29日 06:12:32
2 posts
Is it actually possible to make LODs for VAT meshes in the manner that they are using the same textures for position/normals?
  • Quick Links