H19 - Render Manager

4934   7   5
7 posts
Hey guys!

I'm trying to get H19 to run with the render manager - deadline 10.1.20.3 without any success.

I tried contacting Thinkbox but they haven't been able to provide me with a solution.
I also tried to follow Tim Ban Helsdingen's tutorials (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v083eMXSwXw) but it didn't work out.

I'm pretty sure that the main problem comes from the upgrade of h19 to python 3.

I would like to know if any of you have managed to successfully use H19 with any render manager.
I don't mind switching render manager if it works.

Thanks for reading!
240 posts
We're in the same boat. I'm wondering if Amazon has intentionally slowed its development of Deadline so that the app dies off & they can cut funding.
710 posts
Really surprising that there still isn't an update...
If you don't mind tinkering with some of the config files it's possible to get Deadline and Houdini 19 to play nice:

Modify DeadlineRepository10\plugins\Houdini\Houdini.param
Insert a H19 entry for hython and simtracker after their respective H18.5 entries.

Modify DeadlineRepository10\scripts\Submission\HoudiniSubmission.py
Add an entry for H19.

For workstations, install the Houdini submitter from DeadlineRepository10\submission\Houdini\Installers.
I installed for 'Current User' and from the 'Deadline Repository'.
Choose the python3 version of 18.5...

And point it at the Houdini 19 preferences folder.

After installation you will find deadline.json under houdini19.0\packages and CallDeadlineCommand.py under houdini19.0\python3.7libs.

That's it I believe, I've been able to submit jobs from Houdini as well as from Deadline.

Attachments:
Houdini.param.png (46.0 KB)
HoudiniSubmission.py.png (10.0 KB)
Houdini-submitter-windows-installer_Cp5SfsnXqq.png (65.1 KB)
Houdini-submitter-windows-installer_ztl2Ytk97J.png (63.4 KB)

240 posts
Thank you; this is helpful; we may end up doing this if they don't update in the next month or two. For the workstation portion - do you know where I could find the manual install for the 18.5 Python 3 elements? The installer wasn't working for us, so we had to do the manual install for 18.5 python2
Edited by Luke Letellier - 2022年3月15日 14:13:03
8 posts
Working well, thanks a lot!
J I H Y U N N A M
2 posts
I am amidst trying to get this to work for 19.5, it's much weirder because of the lack of support, python errors and the general nebulousness of what points to what. Does it make sense to create a online how-to or a wiki for setting up Houdini and deadline?
18 posts
This was posted in the Deadline forums earlier today; I haven't watched it yet though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmQ9TflX4wU [www.youtube.com]
129 posts
Luke Letellier
We're in the same boat. I'm wondering if Amazon has intentionally slowed its development of Deadline so that the app dies off & they can cut funding.

man did that age poorly
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4NQi8wpYUbR9wLolfHrZVA [www.youtube.com]
  • Quick Links