HOUDINI 20 INSTABILITY

3015   23   5
12 posts
I would like to know why SideFX is not working on fixing critical errors. There used to be fewer issues with new releases. That is, after a release, you could wait a while and critical errors would be fixed, but not in the case with Houdini 20. I have submitted many RFEs, some of which were addressed, but the very critical ones remain ignored. Considering that developers interest in the current version has cooled off, as evident from the logs of daily releases and focus on the next release, it's very disappointing to see the overall decline in the program's stability. In the video, I demonstrated a simple example of instability, but in reality, there are many errors specifically in version 20. This was not the case before. It's a pity that Houdini's stability is falling with each release. It was tested on a plain Houdini without any plugins. The error consistently appears in both the Windows and Linux versions.

Edited by alexeyvanzhula1984 - 2024年4月12日 17:03:13
2041 posts
I don't get the issues you do when I do the same.
12 posts
BabaJ
I don't get the issues you do when I do the same.
1. select face
2. press T
3. Press Sapcebar
4. Press Escape

After this, do you really not see any errors?
181 posts
I do get the error messages as Alkexy shows.
474 posts
I can confirm this is indeed happening.
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/opt/hfs20.0.605/houdini/python3.10libs/viewerhandle/hudslider.py", line 957, in onKeyFrameEvent1
self.handleKeyFrameEvent(hudc.HANDLE_PARM1, event, kwargs)
File "/opt/hfs20.0.605/houdini/python3.10libs/viewerhandle/hudslider.py", line 976, in handleKeyFrameEvent
info[KEYFRAME].updateWidgetColor(kwargs["frame"], style_sheet=HUDSlider.BG_STYLE_SHEET)
File "/opt/hfs20.0.605/houdini/python3.10libs/viewerhandle/hudwidgets.py", line 378, in updateWidgetColor
self._background_color = self._updateBackgroundColor()
File "/opt/hfs20.0.605/houdini/python3.10libs/viewerhandle/hudwidgets.py", line 415, in _updateBackgroundColor
hcolor = self._target_parm.uiBackgroundColor()
File "/opt/hfs20.0.605/houdini/python3.10libs/hou.py", line 71279, in uiBackgroundColor
return _hou.Parm_uiBackgroundColor(self)
hou.ObjectWasDeleted: Attempt to access an object that no longer exists in Houdini.
File "/opt/hfs20.0.605/houdini/python3.10libs/hdefereval.py", line 155, in _processDeferred
result = code(*args, **kwargs)
File "/opt/hfs20.0.605/houdini/python3.10libs/viewerhandle/hudmanager.py", line 946, in onDeferInitWindow
self._displayWindow(win)
File "/opt/hfs20.0.605/houdini/python3.10libs/viewerhandle/hudmanager.py", line 982, in _displayWindow
win.updateActions()
File "/opt/hfs20.0.605/houdini/python3.10libs/viewerhandle/hudwindow.py", line 2163, in updateActions
if not hud_widget.hasKeyFrame(hou.frame()):
File "/opt/hfs20.0.605/houdini/python3.10libs/viewerhandle/hudslider.py", line 706, in hasKeyFrame
if info[KEYFRAME].hasKeyFrame(frame):
File "/opt/hfs20.0.605/houdini/python3.10libs/viewerhandle/hudwidgets.py", line 347, in hasKeyFrame
key_frames = self._target_parm.keyframes()
File "/opt/hfs20.0.605/houdini/python3.10libs/hou.py", line 69975, in keyframes
return _hou.Parm_keyframes(self)
hou.ObjectWasDeleted: Attempt to access an object that no longer exists in Houdini.

After this exception occurs, Houdini will repetitively keep on throwing another exception which it displays inside a Python Callback Error window. This happens on some actions.
File "/opt/hfs20.0.605/houdini/python3.10libs/viewerhandle/hudwidgets.py", line 451, in _onPlaybarEvent
if not self._target_parm or not len(self._target_parm.keyframes()):
File "/opt/hfs20.0.605/houdini/python3.10libs/hou.py", line 69975, in keyframes
12 posts
In Houdini 20, there are actually many such errors. For example, you can create a curve and then create several nodes. If you delete these nodes, the curve state throws an error. Often, just by deleting some of the nodes in the node editor, you can get error messages related to the playbar. THIS WAS NOT THE CASE IN HOUDINI 19.5.
12 posts
The outdated Edit SOP node has become a very problematic issue causing many errors when attempting to delete or undo it.

As soon as SideFX began adding event callbacks in Houdini 20 that do not work correctly with the viewport, a host of problems arose, and these have not been resolved in updates.
12 posts
Such problems are not solved by sending an RFE, and sometimes you won't even get a response to these issues I have experienced this myself.
Edited by alexeyvanzhula1984 - 2024年4月12日 16:51:19
2041 posts
alexeyvanzhula1984
1. select face
2. press T
3. Press Sapcebar
4. Press Escape

No, I don't.
12 posts
BabaJ
alexeyvanzhula1984
1. select face
2. press T
3. Press Sapcebar
4. Press Escape

No, I don't.
Many people (including developers when sending RFE) have already confirmed this error
622 posts
Same message in Windows.
File "C:\PROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.653/houdini/python3.10libs\viewerhandle\hudslider.py", line 957, in onKeyFrameEvent1
self.handleKeyFrameEvent(hudc.HANDLE_PARM1, event, kwargs)
File "C:\PROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.653/houdini/python3.10libs\viewerhandle\hudslider.py", line 976, in handleKeyFrameEvent
info.updateWidgetColor(kwargs, style_sheet=HUDSlider.BG_STYLE_SHEET)
File "C:\PROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.653/houdini/python3.10libs\viewerhandle\hudwidgets.py", line 378, in updateWidgetColor
self._background_color = self._updateBackgroundColor()
File "C:\PROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.653/houdini/python3.10libs\viewerhandle\hudwidgets.py", line 415, in _updateBackgroundColor
hcolor = self._target_parm.uiBackgroundColor()
File "C:\PROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.653/houdini/python3.10libs\hou.py", line 71399, in uiBackgroundColor
return _hou.Parm_uiBackgroundColor(self)
File "C:\PROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.653/houdini/python3.10libs\hdefereval.py", line 155, in _processDeferred
result = code(*args, **kwargs)
File "C:\PROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.653/houdini/python3.10libs\viewerhandle\hudmanager.py", line 946, in onDeferInitWindow
self._displayWindow(win)
File "C:\PROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.653/houdini/python3.10libs\viewerhandle\hudmanager.py", line 982, in _displayWindow
win.updateActions()
File "C:\PROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.653/houdini/python3.10libs\viewerhandle\hudwindow.py", line 2163, in updateActions
if not hud_widget.hasKeyFrame(hou.frame()):
File "C:\PROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.653/houdini/python3.10libs\viewerhandle\hudslider.py", line 706, in hasKeyFrame
if info.hasKeyFrame(frame):
File "C:\PROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.653/houdini/python3.10libs\viewerhandle\hudwidgets.py", line 347, in hasKeyFrame
key_frames = self._target_parm.keyframes()
File "C:\PROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.653/houdini/python3.10libs\hou.py", line 70095, in keyframes
2041 posts
alexeyvanzhula1984
Many people (including developers when sending RFE) have already confirmed this error
Never said they didn't.
You asked, and I replied I don't.
340 posts
I can confirm that I get a lot of python error messages in Houdini which I never got before with fairly simple modeling and no hda or plugins loaded. Most of the time I can ignore the error messages.
Edited by Island - 2024年4月14日 13:27:06
225 posts
yea, there are some terrible bugs too which sidefx either hasn't fixed yet or said will be fixed in the next release. Crazy.

1. Subnets inside dopnets don't update the viewport properly. for example, if you make a vellum solver sop and double click to go inside the hda (which takes you to a subnet in the dopnet) the viewport wont update. Same thing with the pyro solver sop and rbd solver sop. Known bug, still not fixed. This bug pretty much rendered all the sop based solvers useless because I can never get the viewport to update while inside.

2. The background lop doesn't work with xpu despite sidefx claiming it should in 20. they logged it as a bug, but it doesn't appear to be a bug, just wasn't implemented (it seems). the background lop creates a vex based material. vex based material doesn't work with xpu. in the forum someone from staff said that its supposed to create a materialx material for xpu. It doesn't. Sidefx logged as a bug, still not fixed.

3. there are way too many to list with solaris. constant crashes/slowness, bugs, not a great experience in production.

hou 20 feels like the buggiest release.
Edited by evanrudefx - 2024年4月15日 02:10:31
Thanks,

Evan
216 posts
Hello,

evanrudefx
1. Subnets inside dopnets don't update the viewport properly.
Yes I also notice that just subnet inside subnet don't always update the viewport properly, really annoying..
Or when you change visibility of an object on top of hierarchy it doesn't show up until you select object at this same hierarchy level.
Or when you dive inside an instanced node object and back outside, instance still only with "point visibility" instead the instanced objects. need to move a parameter to force viewport update.

And do you also have this hud viewport bug and this message error when you save scene ?

Thanks

Attachments:
message_and_widget.jpg (99.8 KB)

12 posts
julca
And do you also have this hud viewport bug and this message error when you save scene ?
all the time
Edited by alexeyvanzhula1984 - 2024年4月15日 11:46:13
スタッフ
467 posts
When you submit errors such as these, please be sure to submit them as bugs rather than RFEs. RFEs generally have lower priority than bugs.
12 posts
johnmather
When you submit errors such as these, please be sure to submit them as bugs rather than RFEs. RFEs generally have lower priority than bugs.

Attachments:
screen.jpg (39.3 KB)

181 posts
Only another 135,015 in the queue before you... : )
126 posts
they could at least make the error dialog popup a little less brutal and wack’a ‘mol.
  • Quick Links