Strange USD Crash in H21

   1250   9   2
User Avatar
Member
226 posts
Joined: 11月 2013
オフライン
I downloaded some megascans assets which render fine with H20, but lock up/crash H21. H21 is definitely not liking the hierarchy as shown by the exclamation mark in the 'Kind' column in the Scene Graph Spreadsheet. I did try fixing it with a configure primitive lop but it still crashes.
The offending USD file is attached, as is an accompanying .json file (I believe it determines animated values for wind).

Has anyone encountered something like this?

H20 Render:


H21 Fail:


H21 Fail with reconfigured prims:
Edited by Hamilton Meathouse - 2026年6月30日 20:18:48

Attachments:
Tree_English_Oak_Forest_01_B.rar (12.9 MB)
Tree_English_Oak_Forest_01_B_DynamicWind.json (569.2 KB)
H20_render.png (648.6 KB)
H21_fail.png (506.0 KB)
H21_fail_with_reconfig.png (612.3 KB)

User Avatar
スタッフ
639 posts
Joined: 6月 2020
オフライン
Can you please log this as a bug for us to investigate? Also, it looks like that USD file references a leaves USD file that isn't in the attachment.
User Avatar
Member
226 posts
Joined: 11月 2013
オフライン
robp_sidefx
Can you please log this as a bug for us to investigate? Also, it looks like that USD file references a leaves USD file that isn't in the attachment.

Thanks Rob, I have submitted a bug: "Megascans usd file crashes Houdini".

Attached is the foliage file that is referenced as well, sorry for not including it in the original post (it is included in the ticket though).

Attachments:
Tree_English_Oak_01_Foliage.rar (3.1 MB)

User Avatar
Member
226 posts
Joined: 11月 2013
オフライン
Just noting this also happens in 22.0.368
User Avatar
Member
226 posts
Joined: 11月 2013
オフライン
Still happening in 22.0.429 and 22.0.451

Any updates on this?
User Avatar
スタッフ
639 posts
Joined: 6月 2020
オフライン
Sorry, this slipped through the cracks ... taking a look, stay tuned

PS, poking a bug in the database will _usually_ get my attention more consistently than poking a forum thread, if it's not too inconvenient
Edited by robp_sidefx - 2026年9月24日 05:16:54
User Avatar
スタッフ
639 posts
Joined: 6月 2020
オフライン
This is an issue with bad USD data, which only shows up in Hydra2 (H21+). The ueJointNames data is advertised as being of type token but in the binary USD file it's actually being stored as string.

It'd be useful to know how this file was generated, in case there's likely to be a lot of such malformed files out in the wild.

In terms of making things work:
- we're patching Karma to not crash on this (it'll emit a warning when it notices this)
- you can use usdcat to convert the .usd -> .usda and then usdcat to convert it back from .usda -> .usd (which will properly encode the data as token)
User Avatar
Member
226 posts
Joined: 11月 2013
オフライン
Thanks Rob! Sorry I don't have access to the tickets themselves, but I do have an email thread with Taylor from support, I should have pinged that instead.

I've give the workaround a test and check the new build when it lands.

In regards to where these usd files have come from that are causing this issue, they are all from Quixel Megaplants. https://www.fab.com/sellers/Quixel%20Megaplants?lang=en&q=megaplants [www.fab.com]

I have tested the following assets and they all crash. I think it's probably safe to assume all the Megaplants have the same issue, and are definitely out there in the wild:
-European_Hornbeam
-Goat_Willow
-Japanese_Medlar
-Norway_Spruce
Edited by Hamilton Meathouse - 2026年9月24日 15:46:09
User Avatar
スタッフ
639 posts
Joined: 6月 2020
オフライン
Thanks ... I checked another random Megaplant and it has the same issue. I'll see if we can reach anyone on that team to discuss.

But yes please do give 22.0.453 a spin when it's available tomorrow.
User Avatar
Member
226 posts
Joined: 11月 2013
オフライン
Can confirm issue is fixed in 22.0.453 on Windows 11
  • Quick Links