No icons in Houdini

26145   23   6
3 posts
Hi, I just downloaded the free houdini apprentice program and when I start up the program all the icons in the various toolbars are non-existant. From what I can see from online tutorial videos, the icons should be there. I am VERY new to the program and wanted some advice on how to fix this.

Thanks
7725 posts
You have to provide some details or else no one will be able to help you. Some details such as:
- Operating System
- 32-bit or 64-bit version of Houdini
- Full Houdini version
3 posts
I am on mac osx 10.6.2

I am not sure exactly what 32 or 64 bit means. But I am sure once I find out what it is I can supply that information. (Sorry but I am very new)

Um, I downloaded the free houdini apprentice version. So I guess I don't have the full version.
7725 posts
Sorry, I should have said "Full Houdini version number", ie. 10.0.XXX for whatever XXX version of Houdini that you downloaded. For OSX, there is only the 64-bit build.
3 posts
It says that it is 10.0.465. But now when I try to open Houdini it goes to the startup screen of the rocket ship and just stays there and doesn't open up Houdini.

Thanks for the help.
7725 posts
From the Support menu above, go to Download. Look for the 10.0.492 build (or some build later). Download and try installing that one. Make sure you're logged into the forum first.

Only if that doesn't work, then try this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8O3KIPOoWk [youtube.com]
9 posts
i'm also not getting any icons on osx 10.6.2. i've tried with builds 10.0.465 and 10.0.501. i've also looked at the YouTube video, which is basically a really complicated way of saying ‘sudo chmod -R 777 /Applications/Houdini*’. the latter fix seems to be targeted toward startup instability, which i am not experiencing. any further thoughts on how to fix this issue?

forgot to mention, this is 64bit, but i think that's the only option for osx.
7725 posts
Find your houdini10.0 directory and delete it.
9 posts
thanks, that did it. for the record the folder to delete was

~/Library/Preferences/houdini/10.0
7725 posts
For the record, I don't think you would have had this problem if you had only installed an 10.0.492 (or later) build. The production builds usually get updated around monthly periods so 10.0.465 won't be a production build forever.
2 posts
I just installed Houdini 10.0.514 (apprentice), and still can't see any icons. Deleting my Houdini preferences directory didn't seem to help.

I'm using Mac OS X 10.5.8.

Advice?
154 posts
jiwasa
I just installed Houdini 10.0.514 (apprentice), and still can't see any icons. Deleting my Houdini preferences directory didn't seem to help.

I'm using Mac OS X 10.5.8.

Advice?

Do you have X11 installed on your Mac? Our utility that converts icons from SVG to PNG has a dependency on X11. We hope to remove that dependency in the future.
2 posts
Yes, I have X11 installed on my Mac. X11 doesn't appear to be running when I start Houdini, though.
2 posts
I just installed 10.0.523, I've deleted my houdini 10.0 directory from the other version 10.0.465 I installed first. my mac does indeed have x11 but I still don't have any icons

Please help, really looking forward to learning this program
479 posts
Dear all,

I think Mike Taylor and others have post a solution for this problem:

http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_forum&Itemid=172&page=viewtopic&p=82782#82782 [sidefx.com]

I'm gonna check this solution tmr and hope it works.
2 posts
This has been driving me nuts as well until now!
I run a MBP with Leopard 10.5.8 which I updated from earlier versions of tiger. I found out that this version of Leopard broke x11. If you install the latest update of x11
from here
http://xquartz.macosforge.org/trac/wiki/X112.4.0 [xquartz.macosforge.org]

Houdini works ! I am ecstatic.
2 posts
SUCCESS!!!
thank you oat and everyone who works hard to make this stuff work
Now I can get to work!
Thanks again!
150 posts
hey guys, this is my first post on the apprentice forum.
i have installed the x11 update and am running os x 10.5.8.
i still can't get houdini 10.0.465 to work. all the icons have dissapeared.
https://openfirehawk.com/ [openfirehawk.com]
Support Open Firehawk - An open source cloud rendering project for Houdini on Patreon.
This project's goal is to provide an open source framework for cloud computing for heavy FX based workflows and allows end users to pay the lowest possible price for cloud resources.
154 posts
queglay
hey guys, this is my first post on the apprentice forum.
i have installed the x11 update and am running os x 10.5.8.
i still can't get houdini 10.0.465 to work. all the icons have dissapeared.

We were having some installer permissions problems at that time. You should try downloading the 10.0 daily build from here:

http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_download&Itemid=208 [sidefx.com]

Before you install that, try fixing the permissions on your prefs dir (replace <username> with your username:

sudo chown -R <username>:staff ~/Library/Preferences/houdini
150 posts
how do i enter that code? sorry im pretty new to macs.
https://openfirehawk.com/ [openfirehawk.com]
Support Open Firehawk - An open source cloud rendering project for Houdini on Patreon.
This project's goal is to provide an open source framework for cloud computing for heavy FX based workflows and allows end users to pay the lowest possible price for cloud resources.
  • Quick Links