From Rhino to Houdini

13966   13   3
152 posts
Dear Forumers,

I am struggling to get a .3dm file into Houdini. I have downloaded a Rhino demo and have tried to export as a .fbx

Damned Rhino won't make the .fbx for some reason.

Hope this question shouldn't be in a Rhino forum, so does anyone have any knowledge or ideas about what to do?

Thanks,

Nick.
379 posts
Did you try Wavefront OBJ ?
152 posts
Cannot see that as an option in Rhino's export
379 posts
It must be there http://d.pr/i/1akLg [d.pr]

What Rhino version are you using? Win or OS X?
152 posts
Sorry being stupid. Yes tried .obj but it does not seem to like being imported in Houdini
スタッフ
3455 posts
you might try importing the obj into something else and then exporting again…
I've had good results with meshlab ….
Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
152 posts
will try that. thanks
258 posts
With Rhino, I have had varied success with .obj and often I get exports out of Rhino using the .iges format, this will give you the curves and reconstruct the nurbs meshes in Houdini, this can then be converted to Polys, with some control. I find that it works really well, but you can end up with some dense meshes.
152 posts
sl0throp
With Rhino, I have had varied success with .obj and often I get exports out of Rhino using the .iges format, this will give you the curves and reconstruct the nurbs meshes in Houdini, this can then be converted to Polys, with some control. I find that it works really well, but you can end up with some dense meshes.

which .iges type is the best?
301 posts
Hi,

Is this still a problem i.e. importing Rhino's *.3dm file directly/natively into Houdini ?

Cheers
Nicholas Yue
1743 posts
nicholas_yue
Is this still a problem i.e. importing Rhino's *.3dm file directly/natively into Houdini ?
I don't think anyone's worked on it, (though I could be wrong), but if you'd like it, feel free to RFE it, via Support > Report a Bug/RFE. The submission form is still under construction for the new website, but the old form should still work and is here [archive.sidefx.com].
Writing code for fun and profit since... 2005? Wow, I'm getting old.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_HFmdvpe9U2G3OMNViKMEQ [www.youtube.com]
3 posts
On the Rhino to Houdini topic - is there a way to export (or interact with) grasshopper definitions?
1 posts
Houdini modeling is a pain in the A**, ive spent the hole day trying out different things but non worked. and the ones that worked didnt give me the result i needed but i found the best way is to export as dxf from rhino to 3dmax and import it to houdini via sidekick FML!!! there is a utube tutorial about sidekick just type in nyx sidekick.. Houdini fix this please!!!!!
17 posts
Hello,

I've had similar issues, but in the end, I found the following method worked for me:

1. Explode the object
2. Shrink Trimmed Surfaces
3. Change Degree - change to 3
4. Join
5. Export as IGES 3DS Max 5.0

I don't know if it will work for everyone, but hopefully it might be useful.

@NasAlkhaldi: Absolutely, if SideFX could improve the import options, it would enable so many more people to include Houdini in their workflow!
  • Quick Links