GameDev Tools Parameter Tooltips

1644   2   1
22 posts
This has probably come up already (or at least I hope it has): I really like the GameDev tools and I would love to see proper help/tooltips when hovering over the parameters of a tool.
It might sound a bit silly (especially for Houdini) but I constantly run into the issue that I just have no idea what some parameter is supposed to mean and I'll have to look for a tutorial to find out what it does or dissect the HDA - when all I need is a hint on what it is doing.
For example, the Static Fracture Export has a parameter “Container Name” but there is no clear indication of what a container actually is in this context. It's easy to find out in this case but in other tools it just means that nothing happens and the chances are high that I'll drop the tool, try something else and not come back. This is in my opinion a huge hindrance in the adoption of the gamedev toolset.
It doesn't have to be much, I'm not expecting a whole documentation page, “just” a few words per non-obvious parameter in the type properties' help field.
394 posts
Hey! It's not silly at all. We know how important documentation and tooltips are to help you figure out what the tool does. We're working hard to update all the gamedev tools with proper documentation. We should start rolling that out in the next week. I'll try and bump the static fracture export tool up the priority list.

Mike
22 posts
Hey Mike, thanks for the reply! Glad to hear you are on it already. No need to bump the static fracture tool specifically, it was just an example because it is what I had been using last before writing the post .
Keep up the great work.
  • Quick Links