Request for Mechanical Rigging Tutorial Series

19503   40   10
1736 posts
I'd like mech rigging tuts too! In the interim look at this post, nice example of a robot arm that works well after a minor tweak:

https://www.sidefx.com/forum/topic/86702/ [www.sidefx.com]
http://www.tokeru.com/cgwiki [www.tokeru.com]
https://www.patreon.com/mattestela [www.patreon.com]
603 posts
SideFX did add support for rigid rigs into the KineFX system, it was explained in one of the recent KineFX Masterclasses I believe.

If I recall correctly, if the binding has only a single weight (to a packed prim for example), then it is evaluated as a rigid binding - and no deform calculation is attempted when the rig articulates.

…I think that meets my needs (along with the other KineFX improvements that where made)

Now! - the fiasco that is limb detachment and the high tech. hurdle of moving the Rig into Crowds…that still needs some loving.
Edited by TwinSnakes007 - 2022年10月5日 07:03:58
Houdini Indie
Karma/Redshift 3D
603 posts
To be honest, I’ve spent a good number of months doing R&D on an alternative (rigid binding + limb detachment + real-time physics) in NVidia Omniverse.

I shouldn’t say an alternative, more like a handoff - setup everything in Houdini + Animation, then hand that off to Omniverse where it’s real-time physics includes allowing forces to break joints (limb detachment).
Houdini Indie
Karma/Redshift 3D
177 posts
mestela
I'd like mech rigging tuts too! In the interim look at this post, nice example of a robot arm that works well after a minor tweak:
https://www.sidefx.com/forum/topic/86702/ [www.sidefx.com]

Thanks Matt - that's a very useful example, and one I'll certainly review.
10 posts
TwinSnakes007
To be honest, I’ve spent a good number of months doing R&D on an alternative (rigid binding + limb detachment + real-time physics) in NVidia Omniverse.

I shouldn’t say an alternative, more like a handoff - setup everything in Houdini + Animation, then hand that off to Omniverse where it’s real-time physics includes allowing forces to break joints (limb detachment).

This sounds very interessting to me. Do you have a youtube or patreon where you show off some of these R&D?
regards, philipp
2 posts
https://bereg.gumroad.com/l/chopnet [bereg.gumroad.com] here u go,The complete one out there ... If u dont have any money to buy that one sure message me i can send Workflow of Mine ...ty
603 posts
iamjaden
TwinSnakes007

This sounds very interessting to me. Do you have a youtube or patreon where you show off some of these R&D?
regards, philipp

We're still in the planning/design phase(s) on this project. Kudos to SideFX Support, we worked together over the past few weeks to get Houdini to output the data in the required format for downstream consumption - so that task is complete and validated as of yesterday (01/08/2023).

Now, we move onto setting up the Omniverse side of things - where the real fun begins.

I've also been working with the Physics/Simulation team at Omniverse, such that, when this workflow is complete, it can be scaled up into the thousands/millions of "agents" at the same time on screen, with realtime physics. That's alot of data that needs to be moved around - so, that part of the workflow is still in its early stages. What I'm describing here is, the underlying technology is already there and tested and validated for the entire workflow for a single "agent" - but, what needs to still happen is, optimizing the workflow for scale.

To answer your question - Yes, there "will" be community/social engagement on the final solution.
Houdini Indie
Karma/Redshift 3D
31 posts
I do also looking for a mechanical rigging course. It is easier to look at a sci-fi objects than organic to begin with KineFX. I want spaceship, mech, robotic, droid, heavy sci-fi gate, electronic device, organic sentinels ... ah I do miss Transformer, Matrix Sentinels, Star Wars Battle Droids
Battle for Zion, anyone ?

Attachments:
Z4qETF.gif (1.5 MB)

190 posts
seifdune
"Why don't Side effects take a little of their budget to pay for the courses?" i can't agree more.
I honestly think that this is a little bit disrespectful to all the efforts that the entire SideFX team is putting into education.

You have to understand that making cutting edge software is not easy, and staying at the frontline is even harder. Documenting the whole intended usage costs time as well, and then making tutorials is very time-consuming as well.
SideFX is not a mega-company with thousands of employees, it's a relatively small team.

Think about it: would you rather have them put more effort in tutorials, which automatically means less time to develop new features, so less impressive software. Or would you prefer to pay double or 10-fold the price you pay for the software now?

I know I for one am very happy with the way SideFX does this right now. Fantastic software with very regular updates and improvements, lots of great educational content, and if something is not clear, a more than capable and always friendly staff at support to help you in the right direction. What else do you honestly need?
177 posts
Still hoping for some mechanical rigging tutorials... especially given the new tools coming in H20. Could someone have a word with Warren Leathem please : )
248 posts
RudiNieuwenhuis
Think about it: would you rather have them put more effort in tutorials, which automatically means less time to develop new features...
Producing tutorials would not impede development, a different person can record educational material. With your logic all the accounting, licensing, and other departments are standing in the way of developing things faster. (exaggerated example)

RudiNieuwenhuis
What else do you honestly need?
Step by step mechanical rigging tutorials, or so it seems?

The idea here is that a tool which you have nearly zero idea how to use will be not very useful. I myself am not saying that everyone should drop what they are doing or whatever, but your logic about time spent recording tutorials means less time for development looks counterintuitive.
https://twitter.com/oossoonngg [twitter.com]
190 posts
osong
Producing tutorials would not impede development, a different person can record educational material. With your logic all the accounting, licensing, and other departments are standing in the way of developing things faster. (exaggerated example)

In the world I live in, you can only spend your money once. Now equal money with employee hours.
Even though SideFX might feel like family, in the end it is still a business and if they spend more money then they make, in no time there will be no Houdini left.
Is this really so difficult to understand?
The idea of just keep pumping more money (hours) in it is not a sustainable solution.
Edited by RudiNieuwenhuis - 2023年11月6日 04:39:39
248 posts
i am referring to an arrangement like sidefx had with Tim V with his Mojito Magic (and previous series of Snacks series): https://www.sidefx.com/tutorials/sidefx-snacks-v2-mojito-magic-1/ [www.sidefx.com]
crafting those series did not stall H development i can assure you

your point is not difficult to understand. hopefully mine is clear as well
https://twitter.com/oossoonngg [twitter.com]
190 posts
osong
i am referring to an arrangement like sidefx had with Tim V

crafting those series did not stall H development i can assure you

your point is not difficult to understand. hopefully mine is clear as well

Even though Tim van Helsdingen and I come from and live in the same tiny country, we do not know each other (yet) so I am not aware of any arrangements there are between him and Sesi so I can not comment on that.

The comment I quoted earlier:
seifdune
"Why don't Side effects take a little of their budget to pay for the courses?" i can't agree more.
is what triggered my reaction.

If you want more tutorials on subject X, Y or Z, made by 3rd parties like Tim van Helsdingen or plenty of other very capable tutorial-makers, just ask, no problem there. But demanding Sesi to pay for your courses, when they are already giving you access to the software for free (for educational purposes) is a bit, well, never mind, maybe it's just me getting old.
603 posts
The request for tutorials on Houdini features is expected and preferred ( so that SideFX knows where the community need is ).

The reason there is a free (non-commercial) version of Houdini aligns with the request for more tutorials - Houdini is freakin impossible to Master. LOL The learning curve for Houdini is almost completely Vertical! ROFL

For example, the new APEX system - who can explain how that thing even works, let alone how to effectively use it?

But, I digress - I dont think anyone needs to justify their request for SideFX sponsored Tutorial content on any Houdini subject - it comes with the territory.

..and speaking for myself - SideFX welcomes such request (as demonstrated by their world class Tech. Support Team), they love supporting their Customer base.
Houdini Indie
Karma/Redshift 3D
603 posts
Just to level set, my definition of mechanical rigging would be:

• Non deforming skinning (rigid mesh binding)
  • Joint limits
  • Driver/Driven relationships - i.e., convert forward (axial) movement of one joint into rotation of another joint.
Houdini Indie
Karma/Redshift 3D
17 posts
For example, the new APEX system - who can explain how that thing even works, let alone how to effectively use it?

My thoughts entirely. I was really hoping for some things to make rigging in Kinefx a bit more straightforward for myself. I still never figured out who to set up a spline IK solver?? I always thought that Kinefx could be the solution for someone like me who generally just wants to do basic rigs that are reusable and modular but with maybe a few extra things like FK / IK switching & matching, Spline IK, squash and stretch.

I'm was kind of hoping that APEX would maybe fill in the gaps but after watching the HIVE presentation I've really no idea if it would be useful or not to me. I think I saw in the chat that they would be creating some Material on how the chicken and wrestler were setup but I hope they are a bit more low level like the furball tutorial so people like me can understand it.
177 posts
Yes - with all due respect to Esther who did the APEX presentation - my honest feeling it was far too technical and assumed far too much base knowledge. I certainly need something that explains the core concept from a ground-zero level, and I suspect I'm not alone.
Edited by Mike_A - 2023年11月10日 09:11:44
43 posts
I watched Esther presentation and I was blown away. I'm so excited about learning this new tool-set, we now have more control than ever but it has come with the step price of having to learn a lot of new things.

I think that we now need than ever a mechanical rigging course, specially using APEX since having the modularity that it offers would allow us to make rigged plug and play mechanical pieces.

As a side now I'm with @Mike_A in that Esther's presentation assumed a lot of prior knowledge. I felt like I started a show mid-season noted she only had 40 minutes but yeah maybe a 2hrs master-class starting with Apples and Peaches would be sweet.
3 posts
This guy rigs a robot in with Apex

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61OnUSivCc4 [www.youtube.com]
  • Quick Links