can Digital Asset be updated?

18355   13   2
479 posts
suppose I created a Digital Asset named “DA_x” and it was applied to a number of polygons in a model.

(And if I'm not wrong, I can choose not to lock the contents of a digital asset when creating it, right?)

So, if I edit the contents of one of the “DA_x”, how to make the other “DA_x” nodes I used in the same model update themselves automatically?

In other words, is there a way to edit and update the content of a digital asset so that the same DA used in other model can update themselves accordingly?

Thanks!

Ji
8555 posts
sure, that is the purpose of Digital Assets

every locked asset gets updated if its definition changes

if you make changes to your asset (you need to unlock it to make changes) then simply by applying Type Properties dialog or simpler by Right Click and choosing Save Operator Type you update definition of that asset so all locked assets of the same type are immediately updated

To lock asset you can choose Match Current Definition from Right Click Menu. Be aware that all unsaved changes of that asset will be lost, but the asset will be then automatically updateable
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
479 posts
Thank you, tamti!

Please kindly help me to check if the following procedure to edit and update DA is correct or not according to your explanation:

1. right click one of the DAs and choose from the pop-up menu “Allow Editing of Contents” (the name of this DA will become red)

2. dive into this DA and edit the nodes inside.

3. back to this DA, right click it and choose “Save Operator Type”

4. the contents of the DAs of the same type will all be updated automatically

5. right click the DA edited just now and choose “Match Current Definition” to lock this DA and its' name will turn from red to white.

Is this procedure correct?

One more question is: How to edit the paramters associated with a DA?

It seems that I can't edit the parameters of a DA.

I can “hide” some of the parameters by ticking “Invisible” in the “Edit Parameter Interface”, but this change will not be updated for the other DAs of similar type used in the same model.

And most depressing is that I can't delet some of the parameters if they're not referred to anymore after I edit the contents of the DA.

So, Is there a way to edit the parameters of a DA and make the other DAs of similar type update this change automatically?

Thank you!

Ji
8555 posts
it is correct, at least i use it that way

to edit parameters of DA, you need to right-click it and choose Type Properties
there you can edit/add/delete parameters and many other things about your DA
it's the same dialog which pops up when you create DA from subnet or other way
then when you hit apply or accept, the definition gets updated so you do not need to click Save Operator Type

do not use Gear icon on DA to mess with parameters they will not become part of definition and thus not get propagated to other instances
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
479 posts
got it!

Thank you so much, tamti!
224 posts
There is one thing that you can't edit - that is the original name.

When you create a new digital asset, you will be asked for 1) a file to save it in, 2) a name and 3) a label. Later on, you can change the file and the label and the contents of the DA, but you can't change the name.

This can be annoying if you use one DA as a base for creating another DA. This may be the case if you need to create to DAs that are similar. You create the first one. Then for the second one, you decide to save the first one in a new file, and then make the necessary changes. But you will be stuck with the old name. One you place the DA node in the network, the name given to the node also defaults to this name.
Patrick
8555 posts
you can use Operator Type Manager (in windows menu)
to copy any operator under a new name (just right-click and choose Copy…)
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
479 posts
Thank you, Patrick and tamti!
224 posts
thanks tamte - I will try it
Patrick
56 posts
tamte
do not use Gear icon on DA to mess with parameters they will not become part of definition and thus not get propagated to other instances

Learned it the hard way, just now. Good thing this thread is still available to point out my mistake.

Lacy, gently, wafting curtains.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NN3eBvZvUXk [youtube.com]
1907 posts
In the event you accidentally edit through Edit Parameter Interface instead of the Type Properties you can use this tool to quickly and easily convert any spare parameters to asset definition parameters: http://houdinitoolbox.com/houdini.php?asset=42 [houdinitoolbox.com]
Graham Thompson, Technical Artist @ Rockstar Games
479 posts
graham
In the event you accidentally edit through Edit Parameter Interface instead of the Type Properties you can use this tool to quickly and easily convert any spare parameters to asset definition parameters: http://houdinitoolbox.com/houdini.php?asset=42 [houdinitoolbox.com]

haha, didn't expect this old post will get detailed reply by now.

Thank you very much, graham!

will look into and digest your tools later.

Ji
4 posts
Sorry to reply to this ancient thread but is there any way currently to fix this issue? I have created a lot of parameters in the Edit Parameter interface and now my digital asset does not update those parameters.

Also I tried installing that toolbox tool, but either it isn't compatible with 17, or I am not sure how to load it.

Thanks for any help.
7771 posts
It's possible with python to update a node type's parameter dialog based on an existing node's dialog including all spares.

# replace the path to the node with your node's path
node = hou.node('/obj/myassetnode')
nodetype = node.type()
nodetypedef = nodetype.definition()
nodetypedef.setParmTemplateGroup(node.parmTemplateGroup())
  • Quick Links