Problem when launching Houdini on Ubuntu11.4

21323   21   5
14 posts
hi~guys

i got a problem when launching Houdini on Ubuntu11.4….i try to fix~ but….

I have installed Houdini 11.0.701(apprentice) on Ubuntu 11.4, but when i run houdini in terminal, it shows a lists of error:

“/opt/hfs11.0.701/hsvg/hsvg-real: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgio-2.0.so.0: undefined symbol: g_cclosure_marshal_VOID_VARIANT”

Even with this error, i still can launch houdini on ubuntu, but i got no icon in houdini, all the icons just simply displays as a white square. so,do you know how to fix this? Is this a problem relates to Ubuntu? i already seeking for answer from some linux online communities, but i still can't fix it.

anyone got idea how to fix this?

thanks in adsvance
CSN0309
http://vimeo.com/22993734 [vimeo.com]
691 posts
Hi!!

I have the same problem; I believe that is an ubuntu problem related with the display drivers.

Maybe is better to rollback to 10.10?
Feel The Knowledge, Kiss The Goat!!!
http://www.linkedin.com/in/alejandroecheverry [linkedin.com]
http://vimeo.com/lordpazuzu/videos [vimeo.com]
14 posts
So…the question is, How to fix it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CSN0309
14 posts
what display driver you are currently use?

and which graphic card you have?
CSN0309
320 posts
Check out Edward's post in this thread.

http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_forum&Itemid=172&page=viewtopic&t=17069 [sidefx.com]

There's a chance it might not apply, but it's worthwhile following along with the instructions there, and you can report back here with your results.
www.alan-warren.com
691 posts
Thank you very much Alan, Edward's solution works like a charm!!!!

Thank you!!!
7726 posts
To my knowledge that fix was only necessary for Houdini 10 releases. It should not be needed in Houdini 11.

Friday, Febuary 5, 2010
Houdini 10.0.542: Fixed hsvg so that it can run on the latest Linux distributions out-of-the-box instead of relying on the user to first remove libraries from $HFS/hsvg.
691 posts
But it works for me after doing your fix.

I have run Houdini in two different hardware configurations, and now Houdini didn't have the icons problem with Ubuntu 11.04

Thank you.
3 posts
alejandro
But it works for me after doing your fix.
Me too!

[i54.tinypic.com]

Thanks edward & Alanw.
Greetings!
330 posts
Edward's fix worked for me too.

Thanks all.
1908 posts
Sadly, as a long time Ubuntu user, I have to say that 11.04 is really a piece of trash. There are so many things wrong with it. Even getting rid of the awful new Unity system and using the classic desktop mode it still has a ton of issues that get in the way of any serious work. While Houdini does generally run okay on it, I would definitely recommend going back to 10.
Graham Thompson, Technical Artist @ Rockstar Games
299 posts
A lot of ubuntu users have switched to Linux Mint. Based of Ubuntu but still running gnome2. Houdini runs perfect after doing the fix and i guess will run perfect without it when a build on gcc45 is released.
Drive, monkey, drive!
6 posts
Hi all,

Having a similar problem with Houdini 11.0.775 running on Ubuntu 11.4. Any new updates or insights to this problem would be much appreciated. I am getting the exact same error:

/opt/hfs11.0.701/hsvg/hsvg-real: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgio-2.0.so.0: undefined symbol: g_cclosure_marshal_VOID_VARIANT"

I followed most of the recommendations (above) as best as I could (being new to Linux) and I managed to get the icons back, but the software is still not functioning as I cannot click on anything and then it freezes completely requiring a power cycle . I am running Win7 64 along side Ubuntu 64 via Wubi, on an HP 3.2 Ghz dual core AMD64 box with 5GB DDR3 RAM and a 2GB Radeon 5440 GPU. If there is no resolution to this, can someone point in the direction another user-friendly distro that works? btw everything works fine on Windows, but I have some expensive particle sims that I need to crank out for my demo reel, and I want to get the max performance. I saw someone else post that being new to linux it might not be worth it to make the switch, but I do know that most studios use Linux so I have to learn it anyway right? Thoughts?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

~Houdini Disciple
Brahman
299 posts
Brahman
Hi all,

Having a similar problem with Houdini 11.0.775 running on Ubuntu 11.4. Any new updates or insights to this problem would be much appreciated. I am getting the exact same error:

/opt/hfs11.0.701/hsvg/hsvg-real: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgio-2.0.so.0: undefined symbol: g_cclosure_marshal_VOID_VARIANT"

I followed most of the recommendations (above) as best as I could (being new to Linux) and I managed to get the icons back, but the software is still not functioning as I cannot click on anything and then it freezes completely requiring a power cycle . I am running Win7 64 along side Ubuntu 64 via Wubi, on an HP 3.2 Ghz dual core AMD64 box with 5GB DDR3 RAM and a 2GB Radeon 5440 GPU. If there is no resolution to this, can someone point in the direction another user-friendly distro that works? btw everything works fine on Windows, but I have some expensive particle sims that I need to crank out for my demo reel, and I want to get the max performance. I saw someone else post that being new to linux it might not be worth it to make the switch, but I do know that most studios use Linux so I have to learn it anyway right? Thoughts?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

~Houdini Disciple

If you wan't stable Houdini and easy to use I would install Ubuntu 10.04 LTS as already other pointed out.

11.04 the Natty Narwhal is just bad.
Drive, monkey, drive!
6 posts
If you wan't stable Houdini and easy to use I would install Ubuntu 10.04 LTS as already other pointed out.

11.04 the Natty Narwhal is just bad.

Thanks for the reply. I will give 10.04 a shot tomorrow and reply back.

Brahman
6 posts
not successful running Ubuntu 10.04.3 The screen keeps going blank upon boot (monitors going in and out of sleep mode continuously) and I read it has something to do with loading the ATI graphics driver, and /or modifying the boot config in the grub menu. So I followed all the instructions including command only mode, but the prompt didnt stay there long enough to type anything like apt-get (for the ati driver) …it just disappears. Then I managed to get it to continue installing but was met with “Loop-mounted file system already present” errors. So I am about to give up on linux for Houdini this point I did however get Naiad working on U11.4 so I might just stick with that for now, and go back to the Ubuntu forums for help installing 10.40 later.
Brahman
299 posts
Brahman
not successful running Ubuntu 10.04.3 The screen keeps going blank upon boot (monitors going in and out of sleep mode continuously) and I read it has something to do with loading the ATI graphics driver, and /or modifying the boot config in the grub menu. So I followed all the instructions including command only mode, but the prompt didnt stay there long enough to type anything like apt-get (for the ati driver) …it just disappears. Then I managed to get it to continue installing but was met with “Loop-mounted file system already present” errors. So I am about to give up on linux for Houdini this point I did however get Naiad working on U11.4 so I might just stick with that for now, and go back to the Ubuntu forums for help installing 10.40 later.

Did you try not using the graphical install for Ubuntu? It sometimes got problems with various graphics cards.
Drive, monkey, drive!
6 posts
@Erik ,

I never did get around to a non graphical install on Ubuntu but I did try Mint4Win and it finally worked! I still had to use the hsvg cmd and mess around with the libs etc to get the icons back, so I dont know if my lack of success with Ubuntu may have just been my lack of experience with linux in general, and after pounding away at it for almost a week maybe I just got better navigating linux lol. Anyway, it is mostly working now and seems to be screaming fast (from a couple of fluid test renders I did), so very excited about that, BUT I do get this annoying flashing on the viewport, which randomly goes blank (grey background) and seems to go back to normal for a bit when I click in the viewport. I suspect it has something to do with the video card/drivers although I had no issues on win7 with that. I am running a 2GB ATI Radeon HD 5670. Any insights into the the flashing viewport would be cool.

many thanks
Brahman
320 posts
Are you using the closed source ati-drivers or the open source version? If you're unsure X should have a log. Mine is /var/log/Xorg.0.log

The drivers from amd also have a utility called aticonfig, which you probably won't have otherwise. You can check if they exist on your system by typing “which aticonfig” from a terminal.
www.alan-warren.com
6 posts
Thanks for the reply. I do have the proprietary amd driver installed, and have the catalyst control center etc. Here is what is showing (attached). I ended up reinstalling Ubuntu 11.4 because I could not get Naiad working in Mint, but I am still having issues with the display and noticed the following error upon starting Naiad: “Unrecognised OpenGL version”. I am not sure why as I think I have the latest since it says in Catalyst I have “Open GL Version 4.1.10665 Compatibility Profile Context”.

Thanks for your help!

Attachments:
Screenshot-Catalyst Control Center-1.png (140.2 KB)

Brahman
  • Quick Links