No input boxes on digital asset?

7917   4   2
1799 posts
I hope this question is not too basic,

I recently changed the min/max inputs for a digital asset from 0 to 2 (wanted to have the user wire the input meshes instead of having them imported as OBJs). However, after doing this change, I did not see any input boxes show up in the subnetwork of my digital asset. Is there a step that I am perhaps missing?

thank you in advance!

Attachments:
network.JPG (13.1 KB)
DAInputs.JPG (28.5 KB)

-G
Staff
2540 posts
If you dive in to the network it “should” be there. Depending on your network, it could have popped up around a node or off way in the distance.

The teeny input nodes inside the asset can be quite hard to find. You can't search for them with the Find Operator dialog (use the ‘\’ hotkey to open) either.
Their names are quite long though (Sub-Network Input #2) and they do lay out when you hit “l” to layout your networks and find them that where. I just lay out the network if I am in a hurry.
There's at least one school like the old school!
1799 posts
Hey Jeff, thank you for the reply!

Laying the nodes out did not seem to work for me, which makes me wonder if there is something else going on here…

I was able to repro this with a simpler case, and I included the file. Same situation:

- Created Digital Asset with 0 inputs
- Matched current definition (to make sure it was not open for edit)
- Allowed editing of contents
- Changed min/max inputs to 2
- saved operator type/matched definition
- Inputs were not there (and would not show up with layout)

Note also that I created this digital asset not from a subnetwork originally, but instead from an actual geo node, using the Create Digital Asset right click option

Could there be a setting that I do not have on? Are you able to see the input nodes?

thank you again!

Attachments:
multipleInputs.hip (92.1 KB)

-G
1908 posts
The problem is that you are expecting there to be inputs when in fact there will not be any. Because your asset is an object, the node only cares about inputs (the first input) in the context of grabbing a transform from that parent node. It does not concern itself with whatever geometry might belong to those inputs. Note how moving the object connected to the first input moves around whatever you have as your assets geometry.

Since the node is only concerned about input transforms one thing to do would be to add 2 path parameters to your asset linked to 2 Object Merge SOPs inside to control what objects you want get geometry from.

To keep with your original idea you could also leave the 2 inputs and set the Object Merges to use opinputpath() expressions referencing the parent asset. In this case though you'd want to set the Transform parameter on the 2nd input merge to “Into This Object”. This would in effect give you your desired result, however you still may run into some oddities given strange transforms from your first input object.
Graham Thompson, Technical Artist @ Rockstar Games
1799 posts
Ahh I see! Thank you for clarifying that!

I ended up going the route of the opinputpath() and it works like a charm!

I assume then the only time I can truly use the multiple inputs is in contexts outside of OBJ? (or perhaps I can use them if I convert a subnetwork container into a DA?)

Thanks!
-G
  • Quick Links