parameters in 'edit parameter interface'

4146   6   3
20 posts
I would like to know if we can make the parameters, say ‘a 42 integer’, duplicate itself, according to the no. of primitives in the group. To put it simply, I would like as many integer parameters as the no. of primitives in the group. If the no. of prim. change in the group, the no. of integer parameters has to change accordingly.

how to do this? Help me!
Cheers
ViSiKa
1799 posts
Have u tried using multiparm attributes? You can basically tie your primitive count to the number of instances field of your multiparm attribute via an expression (I have done that in the past using the amount of polygon islands in a geo)

Unfortunately I am not by my computer so I cannot provide an example . I hope this helps for now
-G
330 posts
grayOlorin

Unfortunately I am not by my computer so I cannot provide an example . I hope this helps for now
i ' m a patient guy ..

except the things that cannot be seen , nothing is like it seems .
Staff
2540 posts
You can do whatever you want with a multiparm block. If you want to have a dynamic range of parameters, just put an expression in for the parameter field for number of parameters.

But… Having dynamic parameters like this is kinda dangerous. If you for example unwire the SOP and you are building the parms with an active expression, poof they all go away. Best to use a more secure method with a button and an execute script to create the parms.

I attached a couple examples for you to look at for ideas.

Attachments:
multiparm_parm_per_point.hip (56.2 KB)
growing_multiparms_by_foreach_loop.hip (58.3 KB)

There's at least one school like the old school!
330 posts
thank you Jeff , for the examples .

nice examples . indeed automatically populating panels with parameters , seems a good reason at least to start with something . a bit hard to predict , but useful ..

note ;
before disconnecting the input sop-node i made few changes and saved a preset .
> disconnected > connected again > reactivated the preset .. and the changes were back .

this made me think that maybe wd be a good idea to have ‘pockets’ ( within the node / otl itself ) where manipulated values could be stored automatically or by the user ( maybe for ‘security’ reasons or if the preset system might be not enough ) . i am referring to multiparm block ‘system’ here , not the whole node structure ..

just thinking
except the things that cannot be seen , nothing is like it seems .
1799 posts
Thank you for posting that Jeff one way I have gotten around the danger is to have an indirect connection in between the actual multiparm number Of parameters field and the expression. Simply create an int parameter that contains your expression, then use a script SOP within your network to copy that parameter from the int field to the multiparm number of parameters field

This will allow for that value to remain static, instead of being driven by an expression (which in turn will allow you to save/load the scene without fear of losing your params )

For presets of your DA, I have found Galleries to be fantastic, as you can save a gallery file anywhere and even source control it!
-G
20 posts
Thank you Jeff…i had used one of your examples to create one for my own…pls have a look at it and let me know if there are any problems that i might have to correct..thanks for ur help!

cheers
visika

Attachments:
generating_genes.hipnc (39.8 KB)

Cheers
ViSiKa
  • Quick Links