Matrx transpose and normal multiplication?

6671   4   2
88 posts
Hi

I was going through the documentation and I see that to multiply the normals with a matrix, one needs to invert and transpose it first. That does not sound like the case for the point vectors(P). At least based on what I see in the examples.

p * m # to transform the point
v * m # to transform the vector
n * m.inverted().transposed() # to transform the normal
# (note that m.inverted().transposed() is mathematically equivalent to m.transposed().inverted())

http://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini11.0/hom/hou/Matrix4 [sidefx.com]

In that page there is also a “note” (at the top of the page) about transposing the matrices and using the reverse order for the multiplication. So am I supposed to transpose the matrices when multiplying with any vector or only vectors that involve normals?

thanks
8573 posts
to put it more simply

vector * matrix will transform the vector by the whole matrix so it will translate rotate and scale that vector
this you probably want to happen by default for P

vector * matrix inverted transposed will just rotate the vector and scale by inverse scale values despite of translation values of the matrix
this you want to generally happen with N
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
88 posts
tamte,

Awesome answer. Thank you
8573 posts
and to that ‘note’
in Houdini you just use matrices as they are with C*B*A order (presuming they are row based)

but because of matrices in H are row based and A, B, C in that ‘note’ are column based you need to transpose them first to get Houdini equivalent ones then perform C'*B'*A'
but if you have never met column based matrices and you are used to row based like in Houdini or Softimage it may seem a little confusing but for TD used to column based it may be useful info
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
129 posts
tamte
and to that 'note'
in Houdini you just use matrices as they are with C*B*A order (presuming they are row based)

but because of matrices in H are row based and A, B, C in that 'note' are column based you need to transpose them first to get Houdini equivalent ones then perform C'*B'*A'
but if you have never met column based matrices and you are used to row based like in Houdini or Softimage it may seem a little confusing but for TD used to column based it may be useful info

Yeah, I was doing some testing and all the matrices seem to be transposed from what I'm used to in traditional math...

float x_translation = chf("x_translation");
float y_translation = chf("y_translation");
float z_translation = chf("z_translation");
// This didn't work
// matrix transformation = set(
//     set(1,0,0,x_translation),
//     set(0,1,0,y_translation),
//     set(0,0,1,z_translation),
//     set(0, 0, 0, 1)
// );

// This one works:
// matrix transformation = set(
//     set(1, 0, 0, 0),
//     set(0, 1, 0, 0),
//     set(0, 0, 1, 0),
//     set(x_translation, y_translation, z_translation, 1)
// );

// This one also works:
matrix transformation = set(
    1, 0, 0, 0,
    0, 1, 0, 0,
    0, 0, 1, 0,
    x_translation, y_translation, z_translation, 1
);

v@P = v@P * transformation;
// Interestingly, this is equivalent to:
// v@P = transformation * v@P;
// and:
// v@P *= transformation;

// The documentation says that matrices are row major, but it seems that the matrices that work are transposed from matrices we'd see in traditional math.

I have two questions:
  1. Why are these matrices transposed like this?
  2. Why does the multiplication order not matter?

Thanks!
  • Quick Links