What prevents VOP SOP threading?

3027   3   0
48 posts
I've got some fairly heavy stuff (intersections and point cloud functions) running inside a couple of VOP SOP nodes, which would be blissfully fast, except even when I pick a “Number of Threads” option, it'll still run the whole thing on a single thread.

Are there any limitations to VOP SOP threading? ie, will it only work if I don't call any expressions inside, or don't access geometry from other nodes besides the first input, etc?

I'll package it up and attach it if anyone thinks they might be able to shed some light, just thought I'd throw this up first in case anyone has a quick answer…
575 posts
intersectVOP seems to be not threaded. I already asked about that at support
When You advect points through volume data it is fully threaded. not sure what prevents intersect to be threaded. at least there should be some info about that in the docs.
at least with intersect You can build own collision pops that work with animated geometry, that has not to be triangulated
I hope for 12
48 posts
Cheers sanostol, that sounds like it's probably the reason, I'm making fairly extensive use of intersect. Ah well, it's just an experiment, back to the drawing board I guess.

Not sure what kellyyy's reply was about. Sidefx forums doesn't really seem like the place for trolling. I'd sooner not give every last detail and attach a bunch of files if I don't need to, as I'm working under NDA. As it happens, someone had a constructive response that pointed me in the right direction.
7723 posts
danwood82
Not sure what kellyyy's reply was about. Sidefx forums doesn't really seem like the place for trolling.

Unfortunately, we've been a frequent target for spammers. All of kellyyy's posts were practically the same with zero relevance to the thread at hand. My suspicion was the web link in its signature, this attempts to boost their Google page rankings.
  • Quick Links