Shader instance

3698   4   1
23 posts
Hello everyone,

Got a (hopefully) simple question. I would like to have several instances of a shader. Here is the scenario. I have a strip of 50 polis. Each poli should get a different picture of the same image sequence, but I do not feel like making 50 materials and applying them. I wanted to do it all in a for-each loop, override the color map channel from the material SOP, but that only affects the first instance of the material and all other 49 polis get the same image. Am I not seeing something? Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Roman
731 posts
You just need to find out what the name of the parm is that represents the colour map in your shader, then add a string prim attribute to each poly with that same name that is the path to your texture map.

If you wrote the shader yourself you know the parm name, if you didn't just mouse over the label.

Sean
Sean Lewkiw
CG Supervisor
Machine FX - Cinesite MTL
23 posts
Wow, if it's that simple i am going to eat… something really weird and post a video of me doing an interpretive dance of how it tasted .

Thanks a lot chap, I'm gonna try that in a min.
731 posts
Standing by with baited breath regarding the Cheerio-squid-bacon-bit dance. :shock:
Sean Lewkiw
CG Supervisor
Machine FX - Cinesite MTL
23 posts
Well I'll be… it worked perfectly. Thanks a lot. You deserve my cherio-squid-bacon-bits-honey-mustard-mango-jelly interpretation

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_msXNedeFQ [youtube.com]

I am curious now though, why does the override in the material sop not work? Shouldn't that be doing pretty much the same thing?
  • Quick Links