wind pop and force make flickering particle??

4158   5   1
47 posts
In a simple setup as sphere for particle source, with gentle downward force -.3 for Y and a wind pop with subtle noise. Now the particle falls with turbulence like wind pattern. Flipbook this setup, the particle jitters while it moving slow.

It seems the downward force is fighting against wind force? any idea to get rid of this?

please see my file, any help is appreciate.

Attachments:
particleJittering.hipnc (46.1 KB)

696 posts
hey, I looked at your file and couldn't find any jittering… check the QT and let me know. It could be a playback/RAM issue, no?

If it still happens, maybe a drag force with a low value can help, I suppose…

Cheers

Attachments:
jitter_01.mov (2.2 MB)

Toronto - ON
My Houdini playground [renderfarm.tumblr.com]
“As technology advances, the rendering time remains constant.”
8595 posts
there is no jittering if you visualize accel attribute so it's probably just display thing, because particles are usually shown as unantialiased points, they cannot move less than one pixel which may be shown as jittering if particle edge is moving between 2 pixels it can constantly jump from one to another
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
47 posts
hi, tamte and rafaels, I am really thankful for your help.
and yes, like you said, the problem is due to hardware render and unantialiased issue, I test again with render as point via hardware(flipbook and ogl rop) and software. The software render does not show this problem anymore. The hardware render has those point particle jittering. I will try to post video clip of this when I get home. Is there any solution to this. I thought maya playblast works fine (not very sure!!) or I just have to use software render in this case.
guys, thank you again
8595 posts
maybe you can try turning on antialiasing through viewport properties or if you are using opengl ROP then it has it too
as I am on mac and AA is not supportes on my card I cannot tell you if it will antialias the points or not, but you can try
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
47 posts
being really busy for the past few days, sorry for the late upload. for hardware, oglRop with high aa seems to be jitter-free. However, with aa, it seems to render as sphere?? Which is not that big issue anyway, or I can live with mantra for best quality.
Thank you guys for help

Attachments:
mantra.mov (1.3 MB)
ogl_antialias.mov (1.8 MB)
ogl.mov (852.7 KB)

• Quick Links