difference between DOP caching methods

4572   2   1
102 posts
Hi guys,
What the difference between caching a simulation using the options on the DOP node (cache and explicit cache turned on) and using a file node at the end of the simulation tree inside the DOP network.

Thanks,
Adrian
696 posts
from the help file on DOP node:

Normally when the Allow Caching to Disk is enabled and the simulation hits the memory limit, the simulation is saved to files in the temp directory. While these are valid .sim files, they can be hard to manage. An explicit cache disables this caching to the temporary directory. Instead, each frame is immediately cached to the specified explicit cache name. It is still kept in memory until the Cache Memory is hit, but at that point it is not saved to disk as it is already on disk. The advantage of the explicit cache is that if a cache frame alredy exists DOPs will not cook that frame, even if the simulatin has been reset, instead it will load that frame. Further, it only needs to cook the frames after the last valid explicit cache frame before the requested frame. So if you have cache_50.sim and try to cook frame 100, cooking can start at frame 50.

The explicit cache is similar to using a File DOP in Automatic Mode. However, when you try to jump to frame 50 with a File Dop it must load the first 50 frames. With the explicit cache it can skip this step.

I guess the difference is in ease of management, I mean, with the explicit cache you can set where the auto-cache files are and all, but for that matter I'd rather use the file node and take ownership of when and how the cache files are saved.

Cheers
Toronto - ON
My Houdini playground [renderfarm.tumblr.com]
“As technology advances, the rendering time remains constant.”
257 posts
Another question, are there cases where people cache out stuff and file it back it to DOPs then use it for other purposes (not sure what's possible)?

If yes, that's also probably why people use a File DOP to cache and have it automatic read it i guess…?

Can somebody share one of the possibilities?

Thank you!

eitht.
  • Quick Links