Improve render speeds with reflections?

2631   4   3
1799 posts
Hi community! I was just wondering if anyone has any tips to remove graininess from reflections when using PBR (or at least point me to a thread… I cannot seem to find one…) So far, it looks like I have had to do this to come kinda of close, but it kills my render times:

Pixel Samples: 32 32
Min Ray Samples 1
Max Ray Samples 32
Noise Level 0.0001

Reflect limit 1
Raytracing Bias 0.1

Thank you in advance!
-G
183 posts
I suppose you have blurred reflections? If so, try to increase reflection quality in shader, in case of default mantra surface shader.
Aleksei Rusev
Sr. Graphics Tools Engineer @ Nvidia
190 posts
You should not have to put your noise level to such a small value. Set your min-ray samples a bit higher (3 for example), and pixel samples lower.
Just pixels samples of 5x5 is often more then enough.
You could have a look at the material you are using for your reflections.
You might want to just take a bit more samples just for this single material and avoid an overall increase in rendertime.

Hope this helps a bit. If you post your scene we can of course be much more helpfull.
1799 posts
Hey guys thank you for the tips! I cannot post the scene unfortunately due to being from my work . However let me give these a shot and see if it works

The reflections are indeed blurry and I setup my ref quality to 10. The slider max). Perhaps I can try pushing is a bit further

Thank you for the advice!
-G
696 posts
Hey guys, is there a way to set a falloff for the reflection distance?! Say that after a certain distance from a reflective surface, the reflection rays get discarded to save on processing and render time.

Cheers
Toronto - ON
My Houdini playground [renderfarm.tumblr.com]
“As technology advances, the rendering time remains constant.”
  • Quick Links