Millions of particles w/ ROP sim time

2150   5   0
68 posts
I did Peter Quint's Millions of Particles tutorial in Vimeo and now in the simulating/writing out geo cache files. My concern is it's been going for 25 hours and the files being written out are being overwritten every 1 hour. Is that normal? Here's what I have:

My machine: q6600 2.4ghz quad w/8gb of. Yes, it's pretty old =]. Windows Task Manager reads CPU Usage: 26/55%, Physical Memory 30%. I may have missed a setting in Houdini that allows a greater use of resources?

The 40- frame scene has 500,000 partciles at constant birth. Interacting particles with mass. Same particles in a smoke field. ROP: geometry with 5 wedge.

Hoping for someone to say I missed a parameter or machine is running as expected. Thanks!
2624 posts
well if the same file is being written over make sure your sim file output is correct and using frame padding in the file name ie $F4.

PS 25hrs seems a bit much

rob
Gone fishing
68 posts
circusmonkey
well if the same file is being written over make sure your sim file output is correct and using frame padding in the file name ie $F4.

PS 25hrs seems a bit much

rob

in the geo ROP, i have output file as: $HIP/geo/particles.$WEDGE.$F.bgeo. Also in the directory-/geo, there's 200 files files. The files are re-overwritten in a sense that…
particles._wedge_seed_5.000000.39 ‘s date modified is 4:33 pm
particles._wedge_seed_5.000000.40 ’s date modifid is 4:34 pm ( this was 3:23pm a moment ago)

Is that cycle of over writing files normal/?
68 posts
'hoping someone can look at my scene file before I cancel it. Thanks for the help guys.

Attachments:
1m_002.hip (963.0 KB)

2624 posts
Well as a test why not render the shot with 50 particles instead of half a million.

rob
Gone fishing
68 posts
yes, i think i have to concede to that solution. i was thinking it sim for 24 hours, why stop it - but now its still going.

thanks
  • Quick Links