VOP POP, help creating a point cloud from a texture

3305   3   0
5 posts
hello,

i am trying to create a particle cloud from a texture, and have it move around later on using advect fields

however the particles generated, they start to move when i play the scene, even though i have no forces applied, the strangest thing is that they seem to have a goal based on and invisible wall, and i cannot figure this out.

i added the scene if anyone wants to check

any ideas are welcome.

Cheers

E
Edited by - Jan. 16, 2012 09:54:01

Attachments:
Particle_Effect_tests.hip (347.5 KB)

606 posts
You're reading the position of the points each frame, subtracting from the Z coordinate and then writing that as the new position. In SOP-land that would result in just a static displacement, but here in DOP-land we are simulating the positions, and so it ends up moving the particles.

The “wall” comes from the Fit node.
5 posts
Hi thanks for the info,

forgot to mention i am a fairly new user, so i understand what would happend tih that in a DOP network, and also what is going on with the fit node,
but i do not get why is it simulating movement in the particles when the texture source doesnt change.

are you saying that i should change the setup, to have the particles beeing positioned in that fashion with no regards to actual particle position, in order to bypass the per frame calculations?

Thanks

#################EDIT###################

found a way around it stoppping the activation of the node.
thanks

#################EDIT###################
606 posts
You could also do static phases of the setup in SOPs before you even enter the POP simulation. Some stuff is easier to grasp in SOP-land, plus it can be faster, as the DOP stuff gets run each frame.

A simplified example attached.

Attachments:
particle_setup.hip (109.6 KB)

• Quick Links