Z-Depth pass files Unreadable by Compositor

3450   6   0
9 posts
When I try to get a separate seq for Pz plane (i tried tif, exr and pic seq with same results) in Mantra, i always get unreadable by AE cs 5.5, Combustion 2088 and Fusion 6.3 files.

When i tried the same with Normal pass, i get a perfect readable file. It seems to be an issue only for Pz variable.

H 11.0.812 here. Any suggestion?

Thanx in advance.
606 posts
My guess would be it's because Pz is a single channel (“grayscale”) and Normal is three channels (“color”)
9 posts
Hi, Thanx for response.

If that was the case… Any way to change that? Or any program to convert the files externally? I even can't open the files in Photoshop.
217 posts
Hi Drex,

You should know that the renderd files are normaly saved as a 32Bit float file, so they are not clipped limited or tonmapped!

Maybe you just need to find the right spot in which your depth (grayscale)
appears…

send a test file!
Edited by - Jan. 26, 2012 11:18:37
9 posts
OK Guys.

I did this simple example including the HIP, one rendered frame, the Pz pass rendered file an N pass rendered file.

Thanx.

Attachments:
Rings.zip (2.3 MB)

217 posts
everything is fine!

I saved an exr. and used the AE extractor. And indeed the images appers white befor you dont hit the right greyscale spot.
In this case B=20 W=-9

hope that helps!
9 posts
Thanx U Mickey, It worked perfectly as you said.

But I still have that thorn on my feet… Why a Pz pass saved in a separated image is unreadable on Compositor?
  • Quick Links