modifydata dop driving sops

2397   6   1
2624 posts
Hi,
I am try to use the modify data dop to store an attribute and then use that attribute to drive a simple switch sop . In the simple scene attached I am using the attribute to switch between a fractured object and non fractured object at the point of impact.
For some reason I cannot switch the geometry, although the dop attribute holds up I just cannot see the wood for the trees to get it working !

rob

Attachments:
dop_dopfield.hip (194.6 KB)

Gone fishing
696 posts
Hey, Rob

I've modified your file to what I think you wanted to do. What I think you misinterpreted is that you were switching the simulation geometry on the fly but you didn't have the “use deforming geometry” checked in the RBD glue object.
Even with it checked the solver would still have a bit of trouble cause the parameters were not initialzed correctly for all the pieces as you can see in the details pane.
What I did here is I fed the fractured geometry in the sim from start and then I only plugged the proper values in the dopimport nodes…

BTW, this will be useful for something I'm doing myself, so thanks a lot!

cheers

Attachments:
dop_dopfield_729.hip (229.1 KB)

Toronto - ON
My Houdini playground [renderfarm.tumblr.com]
“As technology advances, the rendering time remains constant.”
696 posts
Now, the same setup won't work with bullet…
For some reason Bullet won't update the glue object's properties, instead it updates the pieces themselves only…
Toronto - ON
2624 posts
Even with it checked the solver would still have a bit of trouble cause the parameters were not initialzed correctly for all the pieces as you can see in the details pane.

Now its very clear ….

Rob
Gone fishing
2624 posts
Now, the same setup won't work with bullet… Sad
For some reason Bullet won't update the glue object's properties, instead it updates the pieces themselves only…

Bug ?

Rob
Gone fishing
696 posts
could be a bug, or just a by-product of how bullet works internally. Maybe that piece of data is not exposed… I imagine it must be in there somewhere!
Toronto - ON
Staff
329 posts
With Houdini 12.0.538, the Bullet Solver will update the position and velocity of the glue object. The difference in where impact data is recorded is still a problem.
  • Quick Links