Any way of moving the pivot without the object moving?

35982   11   2
86 posts
Man i really must be missing sumthing,whenever i move the pivot(insert) on an object that doesnt have zero rotate/translate,…the object moves too….in maya and carrara(and after effects),when in pivot mode your efforts affect only the pivot…….consider trying to animate an object that needs an animated pivot point….e.g…..a box rolling(without using dops)…..the " option wont give u accurate rotations also
the xon can
2624 posts
Hi,

Animate the pivot at the object level > look at the pivot parameter or use a transform sop > again looking at the pivot parameter. Finally if you like to use variables look at using $CEX,$CEY and $CEZ

rob
Gone fishing
86 posts
Hi,…..insert cube……rotate,it a bit…..translate it……now,try to move the pivot….moving the pivot (insert)….results in the object also moving weirdly……ideally,only the pivot should move in pivot mode
the xon can
258 posts
Add in a cube, apply a transform set the pivot point to $CEX, $CEY, $CEZ. Create another Transform and use that to set a new pivot.
86 posts
Thanx everyone for your help….im sorry i didnt clarify,im talking about object level,not sop
the xon can
102 posts
Pressing “,” should enable pivot mode. You can also enable pivot mode from the right click menu.
86 posts
Sigh…..sorry ,i probably should attach some pix to show what the problem is….. “ ” " doesnt really move the pivot…..it just moves the manipulator….this becomes apparent when you…..say,move the manipulator to a door hinge,….keyframe………..go to frame 24,rotate to open the door……scrub through and you will find that your object rotaes around its centre and not the manipulator
the xon can
258 posts
Why not just parent the object to a null and rotate that so you can handle it at the obj level. Personally unless I need to, I avoid object level transformations. I would handle this within sops and if I wanted to animate at the top level i would do it through channel referencing that would reference some transform in my network.

In Maya I would handle this by parenting my geo to a locator where I would want the pivot rather than moving the pivot itself. While functional, having unseen pivots seems undesirable to me in this context.
86 posts
Say u want a box to roll twice,youl have to move the pivot to one edge,rotate……..move the pivot again,and rotate again,right?….in maya this shudnt stressyou……but in houdini….attempting to move the pivot afteryou have already translated or rotated the box…..will result in the box moving weirdly(yes ,even in pivot mode,(insert))…hence making it impossible to animate an object that will need the pivot to move……..im sure there is a way,to do this,im just such a noob
the xon can
86 posts
Hmmm…let me try that….
the xon can
1 posts
Found this thread looking for some answers. Wasn't helpful for my situation, but I did find something that might be helpful for anyone who stumbles through here. If you have a transform SOP that you just want to rotate the pivot in order to re-orient your axis for animation… right click on the transform handle, un check the option for “attach to geometry” rotate your handle, then re check that box. The alignment of the transform SOP should be as you want it. At least it worked in my situation.
1 posts
thanks Jason i didnt even know you could do that!
  • Quick Links