Houdini to Maya Workflow

9482   3   1
2 posts
Hi, I am relatively new to Houdini and have come across a problem trying to get simulated RBD geometry from Houdini into Maya. Have tried exporting the geometry as an FBX but it will only allow me to export 1 piece at a time not the whole scene. Since I have 60+ objects in my scene 1 at a time isn't viable.
I know that some have said you can export it as Bgeo using this tool:
http://www.houdinistuff.com/ [houdinistuff.com]
I am currently using Maya 2012 and the latest support seems to only be 2011. Maybe someone has got it to work?
I have also found a lovely guy on vimeo (http://vimeo.com/28713405) [vimeo.com] that has made a nice handy bridge between the two but seems to just be showing off and hasen't made it available for anyone to use.
If anyone has found a way to do this, I would be very appreciative
1390 posts
Hey,

Houdini can export geometry also in mdd/obj/pc2 formats, so if anything from the lists suits Maya (obj sequence is popular choice afaik), it can be used to export geo.

As a side note, Houdini 12 comes with completely new geometry format. Afaik excellent plugin from houdinistuff.com can't currently read/write this version of bgeo.

One great advantage of new H12 geometry library is that it's much easier to be read/write by third parties since in essence it's an ascii/binary json. This means writing/maintaining custom bgeo readers will be easier from now on.
731 posts
Have you tried Alembic? Currently we use a melange of Alembic, mdd, obj and fbx depending on the type of data, heavyness, etc. Unfortunately there's no one super easy way. H12 Alembic is way faster and more robust than H11.
Sean Lewkiw
CG Supervisor
Machine FX - Cinesite MTL
2 posts
Aww that's unfortunate - I was hoping for a super easy way

I haven't tried Alembic, so I'll give it a go thanks.
From the looks of it I will definitely have to look into H12 too.

Cheers.
  • Quick Links