field force is very slow

3990   5   2
280 posts
field force is very slow.
Staff
2540 posts
Depending on the Sampling Mode and the solver(s) you are using, yes it can get slow.

You are a bit “light” on the details.

So am I.
There's at least one school like the old school!
280 posts
…/examples/nodes/dop/fieldforce/FromRBD.otl
this kind of example can be run alot faster if i were to use maya, or xsi, or naiad….
not that i want to compare them but, i think these kind of force is very powerful and flexible, and i bet alot of ppl will like to work with it. so its important to get it to be faster, if possible.
thx
Staff
2540 posts
Depending on the Sampling Mode chosen, the Field Force DOP can have a significant overhead to simulation performance, or not.

If you change the Sampling Mode from Default to Point on this example file, the simulation runs substantially faster and in this example file with even forces radiating outward from the repulsion ball, would be a good choice for efficiency and you wouldn't see any drastic change in the sim if any at all. Nearest Point force sample is used to drive the force repulsion effect.

The Field Force DOP help card for the Sampling Mode tells you what each option being Default, Point, Circle and Sphere do.

With Sampling Mode set to Default, it will use Circle mode which offers greater fidelity at the cost of performance where the actual surface of the repulsive force geometry is used.
If the geometry had a detailed and varying force on it's surface, this would be a good choice. Sliding colliding RBD's down a very complicated surface interacting subtly where the cam is up close and center and great fidelity is required with subtle sculpted and heavily directed forces, you should try Circle mode.

Sphere mode will use the SDF of the geometry to apply forces. Most expensive but also more accurate.

It really depends on how you want to apply the Field Force to simulation objects.

—-

As for RBD's interacting with other simulation types, you would use different methods that have been optimized for performance and interaction behaviour.

FLIP simulations interact quite efficiently with RBD simulation objets when you enable force feedback. No need for Field Force DOP.

With Pyro simulations, in order to have feedback with RBD or other simulation objects, you should change the solver from Multigrid to PCG and again enable the feedback option. Again no need for Field Force DOP.

You can also use Pump objects to inject velocity in to a flip, Pyro/Smoke sim or even use a Pump to create a velocity field and feed in to a Field Force to affect RBD objects quite efficiently. All with the fidelity/performance trade-off you need/want.

Hope this helps clear things up a bit.
There's at least one school like the old school!
7025 posts
jeff
The Field Force DOP help card for the Sampling Mode tells you what each option being Default, Point, Circle and Sphere do.

Actually, this was completely undocumented until 2 days ago So if people are using an older version of H12 than 2 or 3 days ago, you might want to upgrade.

Unfortunately, the documentation in today's is a classic Houdini doc that says:

“Allows you to choose between point, circle, or sphere as the sampling level.”

Given that the menu on the node also tells you this, net info gain: 0

Jeff, this info is fantastic, I hope it can make it quickly into the docs.

Cheers,

Peter B
280 posts
ahhh i c thx for the explanation…
i knew it can be faster, somehow..
thx again
  • Quick Links