For Loop within object translate parameter

2189   3   1
3 posts
So I am placing objects in space using a xy coord system and want to be able to scale them based on the y coordinates. This requires the use of a for loop within the parameter expression to know the offset from the previous y coords. Is it possible to have a for loop within the translateX parameter expression? Thanks.
330 posts
hi ,

a simple expression ( relating to whatever reference ) wd be enough , imho .

assuming also that there is a minimal criteria among your objects .. eg; their names , clone digits , etc. .

anyway , a simple example , just to illustrate , wd help everyone .
except the things that cannot be seen , nothing is like it seems .
3 posts
I need to make a custom function that I can call within a channel. I have a function that I need to iterate over a certain number of times and add the results together.

But all that requires a for loop and I cannot seem to find out how to use one within a channel expression or figure out how to call a custom function within a channel expression.
8595 posts
well, as zarti said, you can simply reference previous object y coord
but if that is not your case
you can use python to do anything in single channel expression, for loop is no exception
but I would suggest use it in one spare string channel and output space separated list of values as string, then sample the correct value using arg() expression from your objects, that way the loop will be executed just once even for many objects
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
  • Quick Links