Per-object camera motion blur

6340   9   0
696 posts
I'm trying to override the Xform Time Samples in my scene on a per-object basis. My pass has some objects (that shouldn't have Xform motion blur) being occluded by objects tha must have xform motion blur.
I went into the “edit rendering parameter…” and grabbed the xform time samples parameter and set it right for the respective objects, but when I render it uses the same settings for the whole scene, the settings in the mantra ROP.
How can I force Mantra to pick up the per-object parameters?

Cheers

PS: I'm using H11.1.118
Toronto - ON
My Houdini playground [renderfarm.tumblr.com]
“As technology advances, the rendering time remains constant.”
1390 posts
Are you sure all is set up right? I've just checked in 11.1.22 and 12.0.572, and it works correctly in both.
696 posts
Hi Symek

I've atteched a file of how I thought it should work. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Check sphere_object_1, it's the rendering>sampling tab for the parameters I added.

Many thanks!

Attachments:
per-object_mblur_01.jpeg (18.0 KB)
per-object_mblur_01.hip (1014.8 KB)

Toronto - ON
299 posts
I was fairly certain that kind of stuff had to be added to a Properties node inside of the shader but I just tried that and it didn't work either so I am also curious on how that should be setup.
Drive, monkey, drive!
678 posts
Checked in 11.1.22 and 12.0.572.
599 posts
rafaels
Hi Symek

I've atteched a file of how I thought it should work. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Check sphere_object_1, it's the rendering>sampling tab for the parameters I added.

The xform and geo samples only affect the object itself, and not secondary motion from the camera.

I know this is possible to do in mental ray, but not in PRMan. Can you give me a use-case for this, before I file an RFE? Things always go quicker with use-cases
Halfdan Ingvarsson
Senior Developer
Side Effects Software Inc
696 posts
Hey, Halfdan

Sorry for the silence, I was trying to remember why I wanted to do that it happened that I came across the same issue again at work!

I have a particle element that's supposed to simulate sparks, so they are rederable lines of various thicknesses. I have the sparks being blurred along the line and the camera is moving like crazy and the sparks don't look good when they are camera blurred. My reaction was to turn off geo samples and stick with vel blur, but then the occluding geo in the scene ends up matting the particles very sharply and in the compositing it looks really bad.

I can send a screenshot later, it's a real pain because my element doesn't integrate in the plates at all… Last time I didn't really need to comp it but this time around I'm not sure I can escape it!

cheers
Toronto - ON
696 posts
Here it goes, look where the particles hit the wall, the vertical dividing element on the all is camera blurred but where it occludes the sparks is a sharp line.

Attachments:
sparks.png (307.9 KB)

Toronto - ON
599 posts
rafaels
I can send a screenshot later, it's a real pain because my element doesn't integrate in the plates at all… Last time I didn't really need to comp it but this time around I'm not sure I can escape it!

Thanks Rafael

RFE #49200.
Halfdan Ingvarsson
Senior Developer
Side Effects Software Inc
696 posts
No, thank you!
Drinks on me once this RFE becomes a feature
Toronto - ON
  • Quick Links