viewport artifacts

4630   6   2
121 posts
I'm getting these artifacts in the viewport.
I'm running, mac osx 10.6.8, opengl 2.1, quadro fx4000, 18Gig RAM, houdini 12.0.641

Any idea on how to get rid of it?

Attachments:
artifacts.png (35.3 KB)

Available for new projects
Staff
2540 posts
Bug with the OpenGL viewer on the Mac when you use the OpenGL 2.1 option in the preferences. You can roll back to the old H11 gl option or bypass the Resize DOP.

I'd keep current with latest builds as well as there have been numerous fixes in the viewport.
There's at least one school like the old school!
121 posts
Great, thx for that.
I also noticed while bypassing the resize DOP that simulation time increases.
Is there a particular reason for that Jeff?
Staff
5161 posts
Do you have a hip file or steps for getting the artifacts noted above? I can't reproduce it on OSX 10.6.8 with a GT120, nor any other non-OSX system. My guess it that it's yet another OSX GLSL bug.
121 posts
It's just a simple smoke setup.
I now did a test with build 12.0.681 and I'm getting the same error at the geometry level but not in DOPs.
Bypassing the resize DOP slows down simulation time drastically but rolling back to H11 gl option works fine for me.

Attachments:
smoke_01.hipnc (759.1 KB)

Staff
2540 posts
For me I just create a default sphere, add the default Billowy Smoke tool and navigate to /obj and play with shaded mode on.

The viewport will display these artefacts for me on my MacBook Pro:
2.3 GHz Intel Core i7
8GB 1333 MHz DDR3 memory
AMD RAdeon HD 6750M 1024MB Graphics
Mac OS X Lion 10.7.4 (11E53)
There's at least one school like the old school!
Staff
5161 posts
Thanks, I can reproduce the problem with your file (but strangely not the default setup jeff mentioned, which was my first try). If I change the max size of a 3D texture to 32x32x32, the garbage disappears (Textures tab in display options), but the resulting quality is not really a solution. I'm thinking that it might be related to this:

Large 3D texture allocations can result in garbage data and possibly a crash of OS X (Bug ID 11226795).
(from http://renderingpipeline.com/2012/04/sad-state-of-opengl-on-macos-x/) [renderingpipeline.com]
  • Quick Links