Changing color kills effect

2155   4   1
20 posts
Hi!

I saw an effect on one of cmiVFXs videos, and in stead of buying the video, I tried to replicate it myself. The idea of the effect my name displaced in a field of grass, like an alien crop circle (egocentric, I know.. ( ). I basically copied bended curves onto a scattered grid. Then, I extruded a font sop (“Felix”) and made a point cloud out of it. I colored those points red, and transfered that red color to the grass. With a delete sop I deleted only the red colored grass.

This worked out well, but when I change the color of the grass, the effect is vanished.. I attached the file with this post. I added some notes and network boxes to (hopefully) make it more clear. I also added 2 switch sops 1 for high-low resolution, 1 for the 2 colors.

Thanks!
Felix

Attachments:
AlienField.hipnc (188.6 KB)

Staff
3455 posts
your delete1 (after the arributteTransfer1) is deleting based on $CR - red
when you switch to the white curves - all the curves have a $CR value of 1 = delete me!
Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
20 posts
Ok, I see, thanks Michael! What attracts my attention though is that if the color has a red value of less than .5, the effect stays. If the red value is .5 or higher, the effect is gone.. that really restricts my flexibility with the effect. Do you have any tips on how to determine the area where I want the points to be deleted in a different way?
Staff
3455 posts
use something other than color - make your own attribute….and/or create groups
Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
20 posts
Thanks for the reply, I'll play around with that! I figured I could also put the color/material sop after the delete node of course..
  • Quick Links