Particle Simulation Issue

2977   3   1
4 posts
Hello,

My name is Andrew Sprung, I'm a Student at Capilano University learning Houdini.

I'm trying to make a waterfall simulation using a basic Particle network for one assignment, but I'm having some issues and was hoping for some advice.

Particularly, the particles work fine except for a few pixels just off the edge of the grid I'm using to cast the waterfall where the particles just seem to disappear. I've attached a picture to show what I mean.

I've also attached a copy of my .hip file if anyone has any help/ suggestions/ recommendations as to how to fix this.

Cheers,
ASprung

Attachments:
Particle_Issue.png (502.5 KB)
Waterfall_V02.hipnc (68.6 KB)

112 posts
Change the nature of behavior to bounce on collision on collision1 pop, gain normal will decide the bounce of the particle and gain tangent will decide speed at which the particles will travel along the surface.
Set the proper values of gain tangent and gain normal to get the desired result.
12 posts
It appears to be an isssue in the way the behavior of the particles is changing from sliding down the grid to free falling. I increased the oversampling on the Popnet node up to about 5 or 6 and it almost completely disappeared.

You could also try setting this up with FLIP fluids in DOPS. I think the fluid solver would better handle this kind of motion.
4 posts
Awesome advice, thank you both!

Just had a chance to look back over it and it looks much better now.

I tried both methods, but I feel that changing the nature of the collision gave the best result!

Cheers,
ASprung
  • Quick Links