Houdini 12 install raises a red flag with Antivir

11407   13   1
6 posts
Hi.
I try to install Houdini Apprentice on Windows 7 64 bit and Antivir says a file named TR/Spy.Gen is either a virus or malware and asks me if I want to quarantene it. Should I be concerned or is it a false alarm?
www.mrwyatt.de
7732 posts
This is a known false positive with AntiVir. Now that H12 is gold, I'll submit final .exe to AntiVir for exclusion. Thanks for reminding me!

I highly recommand Microsoft Security Essentials.
6 posts
Thanks a lot. Didn't want to spread any panic, just curious.
www.mrwyatt.de
330 posts
neither Avast or AVG reports that ..

anyway , after you resolve that , enjoy 12 !

except the things that cannot be seen , nothing is like it seems .
7732 posts
Here's the scan results showing that only AntiVir out of a wide variety of virus scanners have a problem:

http://virusscan.jotti.org/en/scanresult/ed0436e31ad628f5240ca0cda24208b47ce2332d [virusscan.jotti.org]

I have submitted this to Avira.
7732 posts
From Avira,
The file ‘mcp32.exe’ has been determined to be ‘FALSE POSITIVE’. In particular this means that this file is not malicious but a false alarm. Detection is removed from our virus definition file (VDF) with the version: 7.11.24.126.
349 posts
Hmm Im running a virus def file of 7.11.26.40 and im still getting the false positve pop up (thinking that the version numbers increase, I should be sorted ). It popped up this morning after I logged on.
Perhaps you might want to re-mail them edward. If not I will do so. Might get more weight if you do though.

Thought Id let you know. It's not an issue for me. I trust Side Fx, so I have no problems adding that file to my exception list (although thats a habit I would rather not get into.)

Attachments:
Virus.jpg (163.5 KB)
this morning.jpg (239.6 KB)

383 posts
Still have the same problem as of today .. :-(
www.woogieworks.at
349 posts
Had to add it to exception list, as trying to export a flipbook via the Houdini quicktime menu choice, sends Avr into overdrive, and stops everything. File popping up every 2 or 3 seconds whilst the quicktime encoder was trying to do it's stuff.

Really really annoying. I had to go through task manager to kill the encode process as Avr hung everything up.
349 posts
Sorry to dig up an old post, but I still get mcp32.exe flagging up as a virus.

Every build of Houdini I download I have to add the same file to the exceptions list everytime.
Wondered if anyone else is still getting this issue?

The definition file is: 7.11.44.160 - 29/9/2012

Also Avira sometimes blocks the license admin from granting licenses, which I then have to turn the AV off to get them.

I know it's not really a Side Effects problem, but Avira support did say they had removed it from their VDF.
383 posts
ragupasta
Sorry to dig up an old post, but I still get mcp32.exe flagging up as a virus.

Every build of Houdini I download I have to add the same file to the exceptions list everytime.
Wondered if anyone else is still getting this issue?

The definition file is: 7.11.44.160 - 29/9/2012

Also Avira sometimes blocks the license admin from granting licenses, which I then have to turn the AV off to get them.

I know it's not really a Side Effects problem, but Avira support did say they had removed it from their VDF.
I also do still have the same problem. I cant even add an exception cause of an avira problem with drives mounted to an directory with ntfs ..
Its really annoying and avira doesnt react to any mailed requests ..
www.woogieworks.at
7732 posts
<sigh> I'm really tired of doing it and I give up. Perhaps some paying customers doing it can get better results. Here's the process that has worked for me in the past.

1. Submit the file (ie. mcp32.exe) to http://virusscan.jotti.org/en [virusscan.jotti.org]
This will generate a scan result link. Save this for later.

2. Go to the false positive submission website here: https://analysis.avira.com/en/submit [analysis.avira.com]

3. Make sure you fill in everything correctly:
  • Your name
  • Valid email address
  • Turn ON the Suspected False Positive (Not Malware) toggle
  • Provide details of why it is a false positive, including the link that you generated from step 1
  • Upload the file (mcp32.exe) again to this website
  • Double-check your form submission before clicking on submit
30 posts
Hi,

I've submitted the file to Avira. I've got a company account there, so they should react to this.

Regards,
Carsten
30 posts
Hi,

Avira is working on this false positive. Unfortunately, it is the heuristic which raises the alarm, so the fix can take some time.

Regards,
Carsten
  • Quick Links