help file fails to show up on Mac OS X

11372   12   4
479 posts
the help file of Houdini (Mac OS X) didn't show up when I press the “?” button for whatever node…

Also, the “help browser” panel is not available in Houdini for Mac…

Did you experience the same problem?

- Ji
Staff
2540 posts
Help is working for me on my mac. Are there any errors showing up in the Mac Console shell? Any tips you can shed would help.

As for the Help pane, it isn't supported on the Mac build of Houdini.
There's at least one school like the old school!
479 posts
Dear Jeff, thanks for your prompt reply!

I do get some error message in the Mac Console regarding the initiation of Houdini help server (see image below)

I appreciate if u and other Houdini experts can advise on the source of the problem and solution!

Thanks again!

- Ji

Attachments:
Screen Shot 2012-05-31 at 9.05.26 PM.png (196.0 KB)

Staff
2540 posts
Looks like the same problem I had when I upgraded to Lion and I had a previous install of Xcode in Snow Leopard.

Error is that Houdini can't find or open /usr/include/python2.6/pyconfig.h

Apple now distributes Xcode from the Apple Store. That's all fine. Download and install.
But…
If you want to install the command line tools which will fix things in Houdini, you need to register as an Apple Developer. Fine as well until you see that they charge an annual subscription.

Here's the work-around to install the command line Python tools without having to install the command line tools from Xcode.

Mac Lion upgrade Python Fix for Houdini12

Issue: Houdini launches with python errors caused by two issues:
1) icons unable to build because Houdini is referencing the wrong Python libraries (non-existent).
2) Help won't run due to missing Python headers

Open up a Houdini shell. All work done in the shell.

Fix for Houdini referencing wrong Python Build:
In ~.bash_profile which sets up PATH, the PATH was referencing the wrong version of Python. This looks to have happened when Xcode was upgraded to Lion…
The line injected by some past Python install was commuted out:
#PATH=“/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/bin:${PATH}”

Fixed the Issue by uncommenting the PATH removing the # at the beginning.

Fix for Help Not running due to missing Python Headers:
Had to create a new include directory in /usr:

$ cd /usr
$ sudo mkdir -p include
$ cd include

Then make a symbolic link to the Python headers for 2.6.7:

$ sudo ln -sf /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.7.sdk/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/include/python2.6 .

$ ls -lh
shows that the symbolic link is now in place and Houdini runs fine.
Edited by - Nov. 19, 2012 12:01:47
479 posts
Dear jeff, thank you very much for the detailed advices!

Actually, I had the latest Xcode 4.3.2 and command line tools installed… Maybe I somehow messed up my system…

I followed your advice, it seems that after i create the “include” folder in /usr there's one more step: I need to “cd ./include”, i.e. go into that directory before I make the link “sudo ln -sf ….”

Otherwise, the link or a short cut to “python2.6” folder will be created in ./usr

Another way seems to be: just copy the pyconfig.h file from the deep directory you mentioned and paste it in the ./usr/include directory, though I'm not sure if this may further mess up my system…

Anyway, the help browser will show up in web browser promptly now following your suggestions!

Thank you again!

- Ji
Staff
2540 posts
And thank-you for your added comments as I am sure it will help others solve the help issue with Lion.
2624 posts
I have tried the above and have not been able to get it running > before I attempt to down load 1.4 gigs of the Xcode 4 I thought I would double check to see if I really need it for the help to work in Houdini on osx lion.

Rob
Gone fishing
Staff
2540 posts
If you have previously installed Xcode, prior to upgrading to Lion from Snow Leopard, then yes you do need to install the latest Xcode.

If your computer has never had Xcode installed on it before, then you may have a different issue.
2624 posts
OK,
So I had a prior X code from using the hot Ocean toolkit. I have downloaded the new X code and installed. I can see the sim link in my user dir but the help still fails. I also have no user bash_profile to comment out in my user dir.

rob
Gone fishing
8 posts
looking for the .bash_profile?

$ cd
$ ls -al
$ sudo pico .bash_profile

(mine wasn't commented out at the line of interest)

the symbolic link path is a bit different:

$ sudo ln -sf /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.7.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/include/python2.6

Good luck!
Here it's working fine.
Have a nice day!
Aloha Achim
8 posts
For Mac OS X 10.7.5 the path has changed.

/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.8.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/Current/include/python2.7
8 posts
Although there is a new python version for Houdini I needed to use this path for the help to work.

sudo ln -sf /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.8.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/include/python2.6 .
Staff
2540 posts
Hi Garman,
Just installed Mountain Lion and I can verify that the path has changed. I put both Current python2.7 and python 2.6 links.
Thank-you.

I also added one missing step in my original post to cd in to the include directory in case it wasn't obvious.
  • Quick Links