Fur Maps

4187   13   0
50 posts
Hi ,

Can anyone suggest me how I can get the painted maps for Fur.I want those maps so that I can make necessary changes for those maps in photoshop.
2624 posts
Hi,
You will need to have a full set of UV's > render them out and use that as your start point. You can render the UV set out from a mantra ROP

Rob
Gone fishing
50 posts
I think there is some of of misunderstanding here.
I want to extract the map for fur length, direction etc, e.g. if i have painted my fur direction in Houdini itself ,I want to extract that map from Houdini so that I can tweak it in third party software.
2624 posts
Hi Greg,
When you paint an attribute , inside the FUR geo node a paint sop gets created. You can render out from any of them.

Rob
Gone fishing
50 posts
Thank you Rob,

Could you explain bit more about the rendering part ,I am new to Houdini so I don't know how should I connect Paint sop with Mantra to render out specific maps.

Thanks again
2624 posts
A simple example

Rob

Attachments:
rse_example_rendermaps.hip (309.4 KB)

Gone fishing
50 posts
Thanks Rob for the file .

I tried the same technique but this time for Fur but unfortunately it didn't worked for me.I am pretty sure I am missing something but don't know what.Could you please look in to the file and let me know (I have enclosed the file)

Attachments:
fur_map.hip (1.9 MB)

50 posts
Also If my UV's are not in 0-1 then how can I generate the maps through the method you have suggested.
2624 posts
Hi greg,
See attached.Note the paint_furlength SOP inside the skin geometry. I turn on and use Visualize attribute , white to red works well as do others. Also your mantra rop needs to render square pixels . Mantra node > properties > output.
Many UV applications deliver the UVs laid out over several UV units. Houdini will automatically render these > look on the shader at the texture UV options . To render out, all you need to do is edit the UV and just move the tile you want into the zero to one space and render.All doable in the UV editor pane. Of course moving them is just to render the UV out for painting.

The fur in Houdini is pretty awesome I just recently worked on a job where I rebuilt the fur shader and a auto instanced dome lightrig tool to get some nice soft shadows on fur. Be sure to post some renders up !

Rob

Attachments:
fur_map_156_fixed.hip (2.8 MB)

Gone fishing
50 posts
HI Rob,

I tried your method but unfortunately it is camera dependent and when I change my camera the result comes out different also I don't know How I can achieve output for a cg character by this method.
Also lighting in the scene affects the final render.Am I missing something here or do I need to work in a different way.
2624 posts
Camera dependant > I am guessing you are messing with the texture space in the fur shader and something has gone wrong … maybe change the space .

lighting in the scene affects the final render.Am I missing something here or do I need to work in a different way.

Well you need to add lights to render the fur. Have you done the basic tutorials and had a read of the Docs ? .
Rob
Edited by - Nov. 21, 2012 02:11:17
Gone fishing
50 posts
In your file I have just changed the camera position and when I render it through mantra I receive black render. Please have a look at the attached file

Attachments:
Camera position.hip (2.8 MB)

2624 posts
Greg,
The ROP thats there is set to render the displayed SOP and give you a map of your painted attribute > To render the fur with lights > set the correct sop in the FUR geo to render and make a new render ROP.

Rob
Gone fishing
50 posts
I still didn't get that,I know it sounds stupid but I didn't get that.
Also I found another link may be you can put some light on it.
http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_forum&Itemid=172&page=viewtopic&p=17491&sid=a70486e1195c6cec2d28ae7c7c25f200 [sidefx.com]
  • Quick Links