Learning Houdini FX

4710   4   1
2 posts
I'm an animator in the industry and want to begin learning Houdini's wide array of FX tools. Organic growth and simulation mainly. I have never touched Houdini and just donwloaded the learning version from the SideFX webpage.
Can any of you point me to a few tutorials so I can get my feet wet?
appreciate it,
Groove
405 posts
Hey,

www.3dbuzz.com [3dbuzz.com] has lots of videos tutorials. If you want to learn the app fast I would suggest just buying the DVD set because they have all the Houdini Learning Videos on them and you don't have to spend time going through the course. Also this website in the community section has many great learning videos that I recommend. Then after all those read the various PDF tutorails they are great and will help you alot. Buzz probably does the best job of pointing out the differences between houdini and other apps and where you are going to have your hang ups. Sometimes its a bit dumbed down but you learn alot and he makes it very easy to go through. The Houdini makes alot of sense once you understand the thinking behind it. Buzz kind of dives into that. Plus all the advance particle tut videos are off of Buzz anyhow. If you are going to siggraph then sign up for the Sidefx conference for sunday and enjoy the party I believe that is on Tuesday.

Cheers,
Nate Nesler
2 posts
Hi Nate,
Thanks for the response. I realize this question is most likely asked very frequently on these boards but I was a little shocked to see no real tutorials under the help menu in Houdini. I'll check out your recs.
Won't be at Siggraph this go around, you guys and gals have fun.
Groove
7723 posts
There are tutorials by clicking on the help button. Who said there weren't?
There's also more here:
http://sidefx.vislab.usyd.edu.au/houdini_video/index.html [sidefx.vislab.usyd.edu.au]

As you guessed, this gets often asked so I just suggest searching the forum.
325 posts
he-he the help button is either the button “help” in the menue bar or the little mark in the top right corner - just click on it - and u get tons of stuff, including basic tutorials, examples and such. Also creating a node u can do the same and get help concerning that very specific node.

I was a little shocked to see…

Yeah! Get used to being shocked using Houdini
I liked the Mustang
  • Quick Links