How does AMD (HD7850, HD7870, HD7950) behave on Houdini ?

3011   2   0
13 posts
Hello

How does AMD behave on Houdini (from 7850 to 7950) is it as fast as each nvidia equivalent?

In next months, i'm sure that opencl will take the advantage over CUDA in almost every applications, so i'm really think about changing mu nividia for 7950 (especially that it's better in video games, it's has more memory bandwith and more vram compared to my GTX660)

So do the 7850,7870 and 7950 can compete to my GTX660 on houdini (viewport, rendering etc.) and if the answer is “not yet” will it be in Houdini 13 ?

Thx
260 posts
You are in luck, last week I purchased a HD7950 and H12 seems to like it, I did not have any crashes so far, viewport seems to be fluid, I did not push the poly limit to see the speed but I did try the OpenCL in pyro, since the card has 3GB mem, it seems like the OpenCl acceleration can be used for some mid to far Volumetric smoke effects.

I cannot seem to activate viewport AO , but I am an FX TD so thats not crucial for me.

The card certainly makes a huge difference compared to any 5th and 6th generation Nvidia inside Maya, as its computation power is not crippled

Upgrading from HD4850 I have tremendous speed and compatability increase both in Maya, H12.

Also HD7950 is now the cheapest card officialy supported by Mari if you were interested.

For me its a winner over Nvidia.

and some vendors (mine is Sapphire) gave away free game coupons Crysis 3 and Bioshock Infinite, if you also like to play.
Head of CG @ MPC
CG Supervisor/ Sr. FX TD /
https://gumroad.com/timvfx [gumroad.com]
www.timucinozger.com
13 posts
Thanks for the info, i'll go for the 7950 then
  • Quick Links