Annoying black edge line.. Any suggestions?

3805   3   1
5 posts
Hey i have been following the

“Digital Tutors Controlling Your Fractures in Houdini 2013” tutorial.

But the only problem i have is this weird black line where it looks like the normals is turning the wrong way! I don't really know how i should fix this…

Thanks in advance

Attachments:
Stupid_Normal_Problem.jpg (608.8 KB)

Benjamin Starostka Jakobsen
Staff
1183 posts
I would try the vertex sop. Set Keep Normal to Cusp Normal and set a desired angle (60?). That should fix the shading issues without changing your topology.

Robert
Robert Magee
Senior Product Marketing Manager
SideFX
5 posts
Thanks Robert, it seems to work very well! The assemble sop work okay too but gives me some very tiny problems in the left eye.

Btw, what does the cusp actually do? I have to be curious if i wanna lern from my mistakes. Thanks
Benjamin Starostka Jakobsen
Staff
1183 posts
The polygons by default blend into each other so when you have a sharp edge with a dark polygon on one side and a light one on the other the colors blend across the edge and you see the shadow area creeping onto an area that should be well lit.

When you cusp the edge, you stop the blending at that edge. Then the dark side can remain dark and the light side can remain light. You could also use a facet sop to break the model at the edge but then you change the point count and topology of your model. The vertex cusping doesn't change the point count and this works better for animation or simulation down the line.
Robert Magee
Senior Product Marketing Manager
SideFX
  • Quick Links