Writing `in expression

6201   10   2
94 posts
Hi, I've a new problem in using Houdin. In fact, when I want to write an expression, I need to type first this symbol: `

But Houdini doesn't recognise the shortcut ALTGR + 7.
I'm on Windows and using a French AZERTY keyboard.
Thank's to all for your help
37 posts
same problem here with azerty keyboard …

I always a file name ` in my desktop

have fun
papi
http://www.papicrunch.net/GC-houdb/ [papicrunch.net]
319 posts
It's a bit rubbish but aside from trying to get Houdini to recognise ASCII codes, you could find the character on the web and copy and paste it?!

Or open a text editor and use the ASCII code (ALT+9 then 6) to get the character, then copy and paste it from there?

Or, switch to using python instead of expression language so you don't need backticks?!
94 posts
Ok, so there is no way to make Houdini recognise this shortcut
I'll make a file and copy/paster it everytime I need it
319 posts
You could always buy a qwerty keyboard! Think you can buy a basic one for a few quid/euro's!
16 posts
I always keep a notepad opened with a backtick inside, and everytime I need to use a opinputpath I copy/paste it.
There's I think a shortcut for the azerty keyboard, but I never remember it so I always used this method.
94 posts
Thank's to all for your answers. I'll use the notepad with a backtick and copy/paste it from here
7715 posts
Last I checked, Houdini worked with AltGr. Please submit a detailed bug describing the exact language keyboard that you're using. Barring that, you can also just use Houdini with a US keyboard layout?
94 posts
I've sent a bug report and here is the message they sent me:

International keyboards are not supported in Houdini 12.1. We hope to make improvements in this area in our next major release.

So, I'll need to get used to the US keyboard while working with Houdini
205 posts
Keyboard re-mapper software could help.
Have a look at this: http://www.guidingtech.com/9804/disable-or-change-function-of-keyboard-key-windows/ [guidingtech.com]
There many similar freeware apps for all the different os, too.

I didn't try it myself, but if you're lucky you could replace the function of an often unused key like insert/roll/print/whatever with the backtick?
24 posts
ioness
I've sent a bug report and here is the message they sent me:

International keyboards are not supported in Houdini 12.1. We hope to make improvements in this area in our next major release.

So, I'll need to get used to the US keyboard while working with Houdini
I do hope this this will be looked into. I started using Python and L-systems and it quickly becomes very tedious to work with. I sometimes chose the route of “edit with external editor”, but I find it not be as reliable as I wish (the edits don't always carry over). It would be great if we could have international keyboards working; it's the only program I know of, that presents me with this problem.
  • Quick Links