3D Connexion reloaded

2693   4   0
28 posts
Hi,

I'm still struggling to start with Houdini for the simple fact that i can't use my 3d connecxion Space Pilot which I'm using now for several years. If you are used to it, it becomes quite awkward to return back to navigating with keys. I found a thread on this forum from 2010 were there was already a request.

So, is there any chance that Sidefx will support the use of these divices in the future, as most 3D packages now do(Maya, XSI, 3DS Max)?

I don't want to sound like marketing guy but this thing really makes life easier.
678 posts
If you planning to use Houdini as amateur, thats OK. But if you are planning to work with it in some company,what will you do if they don't own 3D Connexion? Will you stop working?
28 posts
I bring one, the Space Navigator is about 90 Euro. And i'm sure after seeing it in action the rest of the staff will also want one. :wink:
But I think that's how it is treated, as a gimmik for amateures, which it is definitely not.
150 posts
I think it is pretty standard for freelancers to bring their own equipment. At least that's what they do in our company. We have a Wacom tablet at every desk, but most people have a newer or bigger one that they are used to so they just bring it with them. For our staff we usually make sure they get the input devices they are most comfortable and productive with. It pays off very quickly.

As for 3D Connexion Support, I would also like to see this happen. I just got a space navigator 2 weeks ago and think it's pretty nice for a lot of things. I can't imagine it would be too much work for Sesi to support it.
However I also understand that it's not used very often in VFX (at least I haven't seen a lot) and thus the benefit for Sesi would be very low.

-dennis
Technical Reel 2015 [vimeo.com]
258 posts
Everybody has their own way, I am an FX TD, i dont do painting or sculpting almost not at all, but I am much happier and I beleive efficient with a tablet, Ifind it much easier to interact and natural with a tablet than mouse.
Head of CG @ MPC
CG Supervisor/ Sr. FX TD /
https://gumroad.com/timvfx [gumroad.com]
www.timucinozger.com
  • Quick Links