houdini 7 tut?

5356   4   2
313 posts
Why isn't there any tutorial for Houdini 7(new features)? Why isn't there any Houdini's renderman section's tutorial? Why does not Side effects want more people to choose Houdini? Because if sideEffects wants more people to learn Houdini, they will update more tutorials (tutorials section has not been updated for at least a year) . They will add more examples on the user guide. (each operation should at least have 1 or 2 examples) They will write a doc about using houdini for renderman user (at least a step by step tutorial about how to do the installation). so I don't think Side effects want more users. Maybe SideEffects encourages users to learn Alias Maya and 3D studio Max.(because there are so many tutorials and resources for max and maya, so many examples in each mel command in maya's Mel scripts user guide section)

thank you for your attention!
44 posts
to address what seems to be your main concern - theres a renderman setup tutorial right here on the site …http://www.sidefx.com/community/download/extras/userGuide/houdini5.5_tutorial_guide.pdf [sidefx.com]
look at the last chapter …

however .. to address your other issues … it seems to me that if you were serious about learning the program then very early on you would have seen that pressing the “?” icon in the parameter sheet of ANY operator will give you a detailed description of what it does and what its parameters do …

to rephrase your rather wonderful accusations:

“Because if SideFX wants more people to learn houdini, they will continue doing what they are doing, improving what is already the best piece of animation and effects software out there”

personally i have had no problems finding out what the new operators do… every now and then im surprised when I or someone else finds a new way to use a particular operator … but isnt that the same way it is with all other packages ???

m
196 posts
Hi brucelay,

Theres a tutorial for using the vop renderman context http://www.wahn.demon.co.uk/Houdini/index.html [wahn.demon.co.uk]…. you'll still have to set up renderman though. Theres a big pdf on this at odforce… very handy.

h
Henster
196 posts
…just a quick additional.

A tip for setting up renderman.

You'll add the prman path and your custom shaders paths…

!But! In the shader path you've got to include the renderman light shaders somewhere in the houdini directory…. very important. No point having pretty shaders if you cant see them.

And another - remember to get the slashes the right way round when setting paths!

h
Henster
7725 posts
You should also realize that H7 is still in beta ….
  • Quick Links