Poly Bridge

14715   11   3
158 posts
How can I bridge two edges? Or how can I fill the gap with a new polygon?

http://www.renderregion.com/houdini/polyBridge.gif [renderregion.com]
Staff
2540 posts
polyStitch in the viewport to select the corner points.
There's at least one school like the old school!
158 posts
jeff
polyStitch in the viewport to select the corner points.

Did not work. I simply want to fill the hole. Unfortunately PolyCap did not handle this very well. Here is the example: www.renderregion.com/houdini/polyModel.hipnc
648 posts
for polyknit the order of point selection
makes a big difference. try spanning a gap
first before selecting points along edges.
and probably use several knits and dissolve
edges later.
In this case however you can just extrude out the
inner edges and use edit to snap their points to
the points on the outer edges before welding with
a facet.

-cpb
158 posts
Ok, works so far with extruding and snapping. But how do I weld the vertices together after that? At the moment I have ugly border edges in the mesh.
1631 posts
You can use the Fuse SOP.

Cheers!
steven
158 posts
Thanks!
The operator names in Houdini are a bit different compared to most other packages.

By the way, how hard is it to write a custom SOP which mimics the behavior of a ‘Bridge’ or ‘Append to Polygon’ operator from aother dcc packages in Houdini? Can you script such an operator or you have to code it in C?
405 posts
Hey Sascha,

I doubt you would have to go to the trouble of writing it in code in Houdini. You could probably get away with creating an OTL graphically through the network and have it create the needed procedure. I made it happen with a PolyKnit, PolyCap and then Followed up with a Dissolve. I will try to do the model with a polystich and see what the work flow is like that way. Might be easy to make such a tool or might not.

Cheers,
Nate Nesler
405 posts
Hey Sascha,

I don't know personally I PolyKnited, PolyCapped and then Dissolved the Edges into Quads in about 5 seconds so I am not really sure you need such a tool. I can think of a way to create such a tool but the amount of input would be the same so it would kind of defeat the purpose. Personally if I were you I would just learn how to model through the network and then learn how to make OTLs and then learn how to model to generate more complex models from simple models through the use and power of OTLs. Sort, Group, Points, and other such sops will become your friends as you will find them very powerful even though they look like they are not much put together you can do amazing things with them. You can buy the Buzz learning Videos at his site www.3dBuzz.com He has some great vids for Houdini. I bought them. Hey were you at Siggraph because I don't think I met you.

Cheers,
Nate Nesler
405 posts
Oh and here is the file that I edited. I edited it in 7.142 mind you. If you get errors I will post it as a zip.

Cheers,
Nate Nesler

http://janis.mtsu.edu/~nesler/Files/HelpUsers/polyModelSascha.hipnc [janis.mtsu.edu]
158 posts
@Nate
Thanks for the demo scene! The PolyKnit operator is exactly what I'm looking for. But how did you manage to use only one PolyKnit operation? If I try to connect more than 3 or 4 points the PolyKnit operator seems to flip some edges and I ended up with some intersected polygons/edges. Seems the operator has problems creating polygons which share more than 3/4 edges.

No, I was not at Siggraph this year unfortunately. Maybe next year if my firm will give me a ticket.
405 posts
Hey,

Does not sound like you are using the tool correctly. You probably need to read the help file on PolyKnit. If you click the vertices the way you would sew up two pieces of fabric then you will do it right. You have to zig-zag between the two surfaces. The help file will explain it better than I seem to be able to do apart from actually being there.

Cheers,
Nate Nesler
  • Quick Links