Messed up transform for imported FBX

4102   4   2
51 posts
It has been a while since I've got my hands ‘dirty’ with Houdini so please excuse me if this is an obvious one.

I've imported an FBX scene into Houdini which has numerous individual assets in it, some of those assets have there transform messed up, the pivot appears to be in the correct location but the geometry is offset randomly.

Most of the assets are fine this just happens on a few.

Could someone please point me in the right direction on how to fix this?

many thanks up front for the help.

cheers

Andre
1743 posts
This is just a wild guess, and probably not at all the issue, but do the assets that are broken use the “Segment Scale Compensate” option from Maya? Starting in Maya 2010, they both mark the use of compensation *and* bake in the compensation, so our support for it was broken, because we would add in the compensation and compensate for the compensation, undoing it. That's fixed in H13, but there are many things that could be wrong with transformations in the FBX importing, so that's probably not it.
Writing code for fun and profit since... 2005? Wow, I'm getting old.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_HFmdvpe9U2G3OMNViKMEQ [www.youtube.com]
51 posts
I do not know, but suspect not, I don't have the source assets, but I do know that they have been created in Max not Maya, though I could probably ask for the source assets and look at them.

Not sure if this helps, when I import the whole scene into Unity all transforms are fine.
1743 posts
athomas
created in Max not Maya
Yeah, then it's not the Segment Scale Compensate issue. They changed the exporter in Maya *because* Max couldn't support it unless it was baked in.

Not sure if this helps, when I import the whole scene into Unity all transforms are fine.
It's good to know there's another source validating the scene. If you can, it'd probably be worth submitting a bug. I hope that I can do something about it, but I can't make any promises.

If you can't submit a bug, is there any animation on the broken assets? How complicated is the transform hierarchy? Any unusual transform orders? Deformation?
Writing code for fun and profit since... 2005? Wow, I'm getting old.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_HFmdvpe9U2G3OMNViKMEQ [www.youtube.com]
51 posts
No problem and thank you, I have submitted a bug for it.
  • Quick Links