time based POP Wrangle DOP

4794   5   1
152 posts
If I have a POP Wrangle DOP with code:
@bla = smooth(@Frame, 24, 48);

I get a bla value of 1 until frame 48, where it then turns 0. It is not smoothly interpolating from 1 to 0 from frames 24 to 48.

The Help Docs say:
Unlike the Attrib Create SOP, this does not use local variables. Further, all backtick expressions and $F variables will be evaluated at frame 1, not the current time. Use Frame, Time, or TimeInc instead.

I was under the assumption when it says to use Frame, Time or TimeInc instead, that it would be able to do time-based calculations.

Any ideas here?

Thanks
152 posts
And what would you suggest is the best way to set up time-based attributes on particles in DOPs? I was used to the Attribute POP, but that seems to be gone in DOPs.
8582 posts
yes, @Frame is correct, just arguments in the smooth function are in wrong order
try this
f@bla = smooth( 24, 48, @Frame);
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
152 posts
Looks like the hscript smooth function is layed out differently than the VEX function. Thanks!
Staff
6219 posts
Yes, unfortunately VEX inherited the smooth() arguments from renderman to match RSL, but then they are backwards from what we have in HScript. I'm sure there is a parable about trying to serve two masters buried in here somewhere.
152 posts
It ain't easy bein' pleasey!
  • Quick Links